1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Cosine for synchronous demodulation

1. Apr 16, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Synchronous demodulate x(t).

2. Relevant equations

xc(t) = cos(2pi*fc*t), fc is the carrier frequency
    xm(t) = cos(2pi*fm*t), fm is the modulation frequency

x(t) = xc(t)*(1+m*xm(t)), m is the modulation index
    m = .8
    fc = 2000 hz
    fm = 200 hz

3. The attempt at a solution

I really don't even know where to start. I know synchronous demodulation means I multiply x(t) by a function, but how do I come up with that function? I realise that I could divide x(t) by (1+m*xm(t)), but that doesn't seem to be what the problem is asking.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 16, 2012 #2

NascentOxygen

Staff: Mentor

No, that would involve the receiver being able to predict the modulation perfectly, so there would be little point in sending it in the first place.

I don't know where to start, either. But isn't synchronous something about multiplying by the carrier? So why not try multiplying x(t) by xc(t) and see what you can get from that? The whole idea is to recover xm(t), presumably?

4. Apr 16, 2012 #3
    I think I'm supposed to do x(t) * xc(t) and then the next step is to use a step function of sorts. The point is to recover xc(t) since that's the original signal.

Edit: My mistake, I was misreading the problem. You're correct. I'm supposed to recover xm(t).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook