Cosmic-Ray Detector May Be Shelved

• Thread starter Yowhatsupt
  • Start date

Answers and Replies

Astronuc
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Beyond the experiment itself, the standoff represents a clash between two of the more strong-willed and brilliant leaders of Big Science in America: Dr. Ting of the Massachusetts Institute of Technology, who is known for his autocratic management style and obsession with detail, and Michael D. Griffin, the NASA administrator, who has shown himself willing to make tough calls in reshaping the space program away from the shuttle and toward the Moon and Mars.

“The loss of Columbia was a huge loss for the entire United States space program aside from the deaths of seven people,” Dr. Griffin said recently in an interview.

“Sam is the one guy we deal with who has not accepted this with reasonable grace,” he said. “He continues to insist that he is a special case. I’m sorry, but he’s not.”
From the article.

Well, that's the way it is.

I heard a presentation by Ting about AMS back in 2005. It sounded great. I wasn't aware that AMS was going to get bumped.

Griffin has made some changes at NASA and rearranged the priorities. I don't necessarily agree with all of changes. :grumpy: