Cosmic ray flux data in steradians

In summary, the cosmic ray flux graph is given in counts per cm squared, per second, per steradian. To calculate the solid angle of your detector, you divide the area of the detector by the radius of the radiating sphere.
PBurke1985
Hi guys,

i have previously posted this question in the 'maths' section but had no reply, so i thought i would try my luck here. I'm having problems understanding the units of a cosmic ray flux graph. The cosmic ray flux is given in 'Counts/cm^2 s str', or the counts per cm squared, per second, per steradian. I understand that i have to multiply this graph by the solid angle of my detector, to get the flux in 'Counts/cm^2 s', but this is where I'm having problems. The flux values represent the flux of cosmic rays at the earth’s surface. To calculate the solid angle, i need to divide the area of my detector A, by r^2, which is the radius of the radiating sphere (distance from my detector on the Earth's surface to the cosmic ray point source). Since the flux is for cosmic rays, how do i calculate the distance, or radius of the sphere? Am i going about this the wrong way? I also need to do this calculation for solar particles.

Can someone please shed some light on this for me please?

Thanks,

Pete.

Physics news on Phys.org
Not quite
if your detector could only pickup events at the normal then it's solid angle couldn't be calculated. It wouldn't be the radius of the Earth because there is nothing special about the radius of the earth.

The actual solid angle of your detector (assuming you have no telescope) will depend on the structure and thickness of the detector layers.
In the simplest case it would be 180deg in each direction = pi sterad

If your detector were a single thin scintillator, it would count cosmic rays from all directions; i.e., 2pi coming from above. In actuality, your cosmic ray "telescope" is probably an array of maybe four scintillators in tight coincidence (10 or 20 ns). Suppose the scintillators were 10 cm by 10 cm each, and separated by perhaps 30 cm of lead to eliminate accidental coincidences from low energy stuff. So now the "view" seen by your telescope is limited to the cosmic rays that can hit all four scintillators, each of area 100 cm2, separated by 30 cm. Obviously the cosmic rays have to be within about atan(10/30) of the axis of your telescope, or about 0.32 radians of the axis of your telescope. What is the solid angle of that? In actuality, the effective solid angle would have to be determined by an integration of the effective area and the angle of incidence, because only cosmic rays from directly overhead would "see" the full 100 cm2 area.

Bob S

Hi guys,
my detector is just a flat CCD (i am trying to determine the cosmic ray background), so based on your replies, the solid angle covered by the CCD, is 2*pi*steradians.

Thanks for the replies.

Pete.

1. What is cosmic ray flux data in steradians?

Cosmic ray flux data in steradians is a measurement of the amount of cosmic rays passing through a given area of space. Steradians are a unit of solid angle, which is a measure of the size of an object as seen from a specific point. In this case, it is used to measure the amount of space in which cosmic rays are observed.

2. How is cosmic ray flux data in steradians collected?

Cosmic ray flux data in steradians is collected using specialized instruments, such as cosmic ray detectors, which are placed in various locations in space. These detectors measure the number and energy of cosmic rays passing through a specific area and then convert that into a measurement of flux in steradians.

3. What can cosmic ray flux data in steradians tell us about the universe?

Cosmic ray flux data in steradians can provide valuable information about the composition and behavior of cosmic rays, which are high-energy particles that originate from outside our solar system. This data can help scientists better understand the processes and phenomena occurring in the universe, such as the acceleration of particles in supernova explosions or the influence of magnetic fields on cosmic ray trajectories.

4. How is cosmic ray flux data in steradians used in scientific research?

Cosmic ray flux data in steradians is used in a variety of scientific research, including astrophysics, cosmology, and planetary science. It can help scientists study the origins and evolution of the universe, the behavior of high-energy particles, and the effects of cosmic rays on planets and other celestial bodies.

5. Are there any factors that can affect cosmic ray flux data in steradians?

Yes, there are several factors that can affect cosmic ray flux data in steradians. These include the location of the detector, the orientation of the detector relative to the source of the cosmic rays, and the presence of magnetic fields that can alter the path of the cosmic rays. Additionally, fluctuations in the activity of the sun and other cosmic events can also impact the data collected.