1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Cost free physics journals for authors?

1. Oct 6, 2009 #1
    Cost free physics journals for authors??

if i m not wrong Journals like Physics review a,b,c,d charge from authors to publish papers. But is there good journals which don't charge from authors? What about Journal of High energy physics and European physics journal? Do they also charge? :rolleyes:

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 6, 2009 #2

f95toli

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Re: Cost free physics journals for authors??

No, APS journals (PRA, PRL etc) do not charge you as long as you submit your paper in one of their preferred electronic formats (Latex, Word etc)

I don't think there are that many journals that charge you for publishing papers any more, and those who did so in the past (which as far as I remembered included APS) did so on an voluntary basis; the policy was essentially that those who could afford to pay should do so (i.e. authors from "rich" research groups were effectively subsidizing authors from e.g. poorer countries that did not have much money)

4. Oct 6, 2009 #3
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 24, 2017
  5. Oct 6, 2009 #4

eri

Actually, in my field (astrophysics) page charges are still very common, as I recently learned.

6. Oct 6, 2009 #5

f95toli

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I have no idea, I've never heard of ST-PER before.
    But I've published several papers in APS journals (PRL. PRB) and I don't think I've ever been asked to pay any charges (although I am not sure about the first paper I published in PRL, that was in 2001 and we might have paid something then). My last paper was published in PRB yesterday(online) and I did the paperwork only a couple of weeks ago, no charges.

It could of course differ from journal to journal,maybe they charge for journals with free access?

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 24, 2017
  7. Oct 6, 2009 #6

Thanks. :)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook