Finding the Inflection points of x^2-4√x

• Thread starter AllanW
  • Start date
  • Tags
In summary, the given function x^2-4√x has no inflection points because it is the sum of two strictly convex functions on the set of positive real numbers.
AllanW

Homework Statement

find the inflection points of x^2-4√x

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Okay, I started with finding the derivatives;
f'(x)=2x-2/√x
f''(x)=2+1/√x^3
and made the second derivative =0
(2+1/√x^3=0)(√x^3)
2√x^3+1=0
(√x^3=-1/2)^2
x^3=1/4
x=cube root(1/4)
x=0.63
But when I enter '0.63' into the second derivative i get '4' (2+1/(√0.63^3)=4) Should i not get 0? Does this mean there are no inflection points?

Physics news on Phys.org
It's unclear what you are doing here:
AllanW said:
2√x^3+1=0
(√x^3=-1/2)^2
x^3=1/4

Note that for the given expression x^2-4√x to be a function, we need to choose a branch of the square root. The convention is to choose the positive branch unless explicitly stated otherwise. Then when we get to (√x)^3=-1/2 we see that there is no solution, because in the positive branch (√x)^3>0. So there are no inflection points.

The solution you found is for the negative branch of the square root, which does have an inflection point.

AllanW said:

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

f'(x)=2x-2/√x
f''(x)=2+1/√x^3
(2+1/√x^3=0)

It was a real function, the domain is x>0. That means, the second derivative can not be zero. When you take the square of the equation, you introduce false root.
AllanW said:
(2+1/√x^3=0)(√x^3)
2√x^3+1=0
(√x^3=-1/2)^2
x^3=1/4
x=cube root(1/4)
x=0.63
But when I enter '0.63' into the second derivative i get '4' (2+1/(√0.63^3)=4) Should i not get 0? Does this mean there are no inflection points?

AllanW said:

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

f'(x)=2x-2/√x
f''(x)=2+1/√x^3
(2+1/√x^3=0)(√x^3)
2√x^3+1=0
(√x^3=-1/2)^2
x^3=1/4
x=cube root(1/4)
x=0.63

You have ##f(x) = f_1(x) + f_2(x)##, where ##f_1(x) = x^2## and ##f_2(x) = -2 \sqrt{x}##. We have ##f_1''(x)>0## and ##f_2''(x)>0## on ##\mathbb{R}_+ = \{ x > 0 \}##, so there are no inflection points. Basically, ##f## is the sum of two strictly convex functions on ##\mathbb{R}_+##, so is itself strictly convex on that set.

Ray Vickson said:
You have ##f(x) = f_1(x) + f_2(x)##, where ##f_1(x) = x^2## and ##f_2(x) = -2 \sqrt{x}##. We have ##f_1''(x)>0## and ##f_2''(x)>0## on ##\mathbb{R}_+ = \{ x > 0 \}##, so there are no inflection points. Basically, ##f## is the sum of two strictly convex functions on ##\mathbb{R}_+##, so is itself strictly convex on that set.
great, thanks

What is an inflection point?

An inflection point is a point on a curve where the curvature changes from positive to negative or vice versa. It is where the concavity of the curve changes.

How can I find the inflection points of a function?

To find the inflection points of a function, you can use the second derivative test. Take the second derivative of the function and set it equal to zero. Solve for the x values and plug them back into the original function to find the corresponding y values.

What is the equation for finding the second derivative of a function?

The equation for finding the second derivative of a function is f''(x) = d^2y/dx^2 = lim(h->0) [f'(x+h) - f'(x)]/h. This is the limit definition of the second derivative.

What does the second derivative tell us about the function?

The second derivative tells us about the concavity of the function. If the second derivative is positive, the function is concave up (curving upwards). If the second derivative is negative, the function is concave down (curving downwards). The inflection points occur where the second derivative changes sign.

Can a function have more than one inflection point?

Yes, a function can have multiple inflection points. This occurs when the concavity changes multiple times on the curve.