1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Could I handle Computer Engineering?

1. Oct 10, 2015 #1
    Computer Engineering and/or Computer Science have both interested me greatly. I'm fairly certain that I want to pursue in one of these fields in the future. Though, I've heard that CE requires you take some match classes that are quite difficult. It's not that I dislike math, as a matter of fact it's pretty fun. But I've always been somewhat "average" at math. Average SAT scores, average grades (though I never studied). I don't know if I could handle the math/physics classes required of me for CE. Would you recommend CE to someone who isn't the BEST at math? I see various threads about CE vs CS. I'm pretty sure I'd rather do CE. The thing I'm worried about is whether I could handle it. I was an A-C student depending on my laziness level. (I'm a unhealthily lazy person). Sorry if I was redundant. Any tips appreciated.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 10, 2015 #2
    Are you willing to work hard? If the answer is yes, then yes you can.

4. Oct 10, 2015 #3
    I'd assume so, but I'd be willing to work hard if I know I wouldn't end up behind or struggling compared to those who are also working hard.

5. Oct 10, 2015 #4

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

Just because you're not the best at math now doesn't mean you can't improve. If you want to go into CE, you need to be willing to put in the time and effort.

6. Oct 10, 2015 #5
    The math requirements for CS and CE vary by university. Usually the only extra math class required by CE is differential equations. In some universities the math requirements for both programs are the same.

7. Oct 10, 2015 #6
    Isn't diff eq considered quite difficult?

8. Oct 10, 2015 #7
    Slight motivation I needed, hopefully I can take it mentally and emotionally. Then again, I hear all engineers live off of coffee and motivation.

9. Oct 10, 2015 #8
    I don't think so, but opinions vary.

10. Oct 11, 2015 #9
    As someone who isn't exactly the best at school/math and currently trying to major in bioengineering. I got better at math, I started from the bottom with algebra and now I'm doing integral calculus. Math isn't too difficult, but it does take putting time into it. Physics on the other hand is another beast for me. ?:)

I really just started on physics this semester with engineering/science physics, not sure if I'd say it was a mistake starting off there, but it's been challenging for me. And I've been pretty busy between physics, calculus and chemistry.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook