Could multiple dimensions explain quantum leap?

In summary: It means particles like electrons have a certain amount of energy that they can carry and release. When they release that energy, it's quantized.
psuedoben
please point out the flaws/add to my reasoning here:

it is known that energy is quantized, but could that be for just the 3 dimensions we're able to experience? Is it illogically to propose that energy might not be quantized when looking at all of the dimensions together? this could explain quantum leaping, to us it appears as though electrons jump from one orbital to another without spending any time between the two because it cannot absorb/emit energy of those levels. What if electrons can absorb/emit energy of those levels but when they do they exist in other dimensions (beyond the three we can observe) and so it only seems to us as though the electron jumps orbitals skipping the space between, but in reality it is traveling through that space but only through another dimension?

(I understand that this untested "theory" has little to no mathematical evidence to support it, but keep in mind I'm only a freshman undergraduate so I've spent very little time studying these subjects)

Physics news on Phys.org
bhobba said:
It isn't eg the energy of a free particle
We already know why - but does require the full machinery of Quantum Field Theory to explain which is why its not usually discussed in beginner texts and popularisations since it is advanced.
Personal speculation, especially that of the handwavey type, is off topic by forum rules.

Happy to discuss the issues you raised above, but it must be in the framework of current accepted physical theories.

Thanks
Bill
good point! I'm new to this so ill remove this thread and stick to the rules next time

psuedoben said:
good point! I'm new to this so ill remove this thread and stick to the rules next time

If you want to start a new thread that's fine, but, providing we stay away from personal speculation we can continue here if you like.

Thanks
Bill

bhobba said:
If you want to start a new thread that's fine, but, providing we stay away from personal speculation we can continue here if you like.

Thanks
Bill
ok, i would like to continue then!
-what do you mean the energy of a free particle? are you saying that energy isn't always quantized or am i misinterpreting?
-also, if you feel capable could you try to explain our understanding of quantum leap? (keep in mind you're talking to someone who has only taken college level general chemistry)

What is a quantum leap?

A quantum leap refers to the sudden and significant change of an electron or other particle from one energy state to another within an atom without passing through the intermediate energy states.

What is the connection between quantum leaps and multiple dimensions?

The theory of multiple dimensions suggests that there may be more than the three dimensions (length, width, and height) that we can perceive. Some scientists believe that these extra dimensions may play a role in explaining the mysterious phenomenon of quantum leaps.

Can multiple dimensions explain quantum leaps?

While there is no conclusive evidence, some theories suggest that the existence of extra dimensions could help explain the seemingly random and instantaneous nature of quantum leaps. However, this is still a topic of much debate and further research is needed to fully understand the connection between multiple dimensions and quantum leaps.

How do scientists study the possibility of multiple dimensions?

Scientists use various methods, such as mathematical models and experiments with high-energy particles, to study the possibility of multiple dimensions. These studies aim to provide evidence for or against the existence of additional dimensions beyond the ones we can perceive.

If multiple dimensions do exist, how would they affect our understanding of quantum mechanics?

If proven to exist, multiple dimensions could potentially revolutionize our understanding of quantum mechanics. It could provide explanations for phenomena that cannot be explained by our current understanding of the universe, such as quantum leaps. However, more research is needed to fully explore the implications of multiple dimensions on our understanding of quantum mechanics.