1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Could Somebody Recommend Me a Mathematics Problem solving book ?

1. Jul 8, 2013 #1
    I am having a hard time solving word problem like those that you have model an function to find the right answer. This would become very problematic in the next semester since I will take Calculus.

I have taken pre-calculus,but the class didn't require me to solve modeling problems.

Do you know any book that could help to improve this skill?

Last edited: Jul 8, 2013
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 8, 2013 #2

verty

Homework Helper

It isn't clear what a function-modelling-problem is. Please give an example question so we know what you are struggling with.

4. Jul 8, 2013 #3

NigelTufnel

Gold Member

Larson's Calculus text includes a preliminary chapter to introduce the student to data/function modeling and many subsequent chapters include a few of these modeling problems. Usually the problem will provide a brief set of data (x,y coordinate values) and then ask the student to use technology (graphing utility, regression utility, etc.) to derive a function that closely approximates/models the data and then use the model to predict or describe the behavior of the phenomenon being modeled.

Below is a typical example from Larson's text, chapter 12 section 3 (Velocity and Acceleration):

"After the path of a ball thrown by a baseball player is videotaped, it is analyzed on a television set with a grid covering the screen. The tape is paused three times and the positions of the ball are measured. The coordinates are approximately (0,6.0), (15,10.6), and (30, 13.4). (The x-coordinate measures the horizontal distance from the player in feet and the y-coordinate measures the height in feet).
    (a) Use a graphing utility to find a quadratic model for the data.
    (b) Use a graphing utility to plot the data and graph the model.
    (c) Determine the maximum height of the ball.
    (d) Find the initial velocity of the ball and the angle at which it was thrown.

5. Jul 8, 2013 #4
    An example from precalculus book.

a small theater has a seating
    capacity of 2000. When the ticket price is $20,
    attendance is 1500. For each $1 decrease in price,
    attendance increases by 100.

Write the revenue of the theater as a function of
    ticket price( here is my problem)

6. Jul 9, 2013 #5
    I am referring to those problems that require application in which you have to set your own equation with the given information.

For example From (prelcauluculus):

A small theater has a seating
    capacity of 2000. When the ticket price is $20,
    attendance is 1500. For each $1 decrease in price,
    attendance increases by 100.
    Write the revenue of the theater as a function of
    ticket price

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted