Could someone check me on this?

• Thread starter physicsCU
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is about finding the magnitudes of F2, F3, and F4 in a body that is in equilibrium under the action of four forces. The equations used to find the magnitudes are tedious to do manually, so it is suggested to use a math program to check the answers. However, if the force is given in the form of components in each direction, the magnitude can be found using the formula sqrt(Fx^2 + Fy^2 + Fz^2) without having to solve equations. The conversation also mentions that there were some sign errors in the solution, but they have been corrected.
physicsCU
OK, I have four forces in equilibrium

F1 = 50i N

e2 = -0.485i + 0.485j - 0.728k
e3 = -0.557i + 0.743j + 0.371k
e4 = -0.371i - 0.743j + 0.557k

I need to find the magnitudes of F2,F3,and F4

I got F2 = 373.67 N (this might be a + or -, not sure, thinking +)
F3 = 346.43 N
F4 = 102.44 N

I used the equilibrium in each direction (x,y,z) and then I had three equations with three unknowns.

If someone could confirm that or tell me where I messed up, that would be great. Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
It's very tedious work to do manually. Hopefully for you, someone will check it using a math program. I suggest you get one of those and learn how to use it. Very usefull to check answers like this one.

I have Mathematica, but I don't know how I would check it on there. Any thoughts?

If the body is in equilibrium under the action of no. of forces, then sum of their components in x,y and z direction separately is zero.

If the force is given in the form
F = Fx i + Fy j +Fz k then it means the Fx , Fy, Fz are components in the corresponding direction and the magnitude is given by sqrt(Fx^2 + Fy^2 + Fz^2)
need not to solve the equations if the values are given.

Last edited:
He doesn't know the magnitude of F_2, F_3 and F_4. He known everything about F_1 and only the direction for the other 3. The directions are given by the unit vectors e_i.

I solved the problem, I had a bunch of sign errors, but I fixed them.

I used MATLAB to check it, but that was wrong. No worries, I am just saying.

What is the purpose of asking someone to check my work?

The purpose of asking someone to check your work is to ensure its accuracy and to help identify any errors or areas for improvement. It can also provide a fresh perspective on your work and help you catch any mistakes that you may have missed.

Who should I ask to check my work?

You can ask a colleague, mentor, or someone with expertise in the subject matter to check your work. It is important to choose someone who is knowledgeable and trustworthy to provide reliable feedback.

How should I approach someone to check my work?

When asking someone to check your work, it is important to be polite and respectful. Explain the purpose of your request and provide any necessary context. Be open to constructive criticism and thank the person for taking the time to review your work.

What should I do if someone finds errors in my work?

If someone finds errors in your work, thank them for their feedback and take the time to carefully review and correct the errors. It is important to learn from your mistakes and make the necessary improvements.

How often should I ask someone to check my work?

The frequency of asking someone to check your work may vary depending on the complexity of the task and your level of confidence in your work. It is recommended to seek feedback at key milestones or when you feel unsure about the accuracy of your work.