Could someone please read through my working out?

• Thread starter NotVerySmart
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is about a homework problem involving the separation of a space vehicle into two sections of different masses after detonation. The lighter section moves at a higher velocity and the question asks for the velocity of the heavier section using the principle of conservation of momentum. The provided solution involves using the formula ^M=mx^v to calculate the momentum of the two sections, but there is confusion about the given velocities and their relation to the lab frame.
NotVerySmart

Homework Statement

Could someone please read through my work to make sure I have worked this out correctly, please see the images below for my working out.

A space vehicle traveling at a velocity of 6000km/h separates by detonation of explosive bolts, into two sections of mass 1200 kg and 300 kg. The two parts continue moving in the same direction with the lighter section moving at 6200km/h. Making use of the principle of conservation of momentum, determine the velocity of the heavier section after separation

Homework Equations

upload_2018-1-21_14-7-10.png
[/B]

The Attempt at a Solution

upload_2018-1-21_14-8-59.png

Attachments

• upload_2018-1-21_14-7-10.png
    upload_2018-1-21_14-7-10.png
    30.3 KB · Views: 400
  • upload_2018-1-21_14-8-59.png
    upload_2018-1-21_14-8-59.png
    37.9 KB · Views: 382
Physics news on Phys.org
Please see my working for

^M=mx^v

^M= 7140000
m= 1860000
^v= 3.84 m/s

Which problem do you need help on? The problem in post #1 makes little sense. If the ejected mass has more momentum than before, then the space vehicle will have less momentum than before. Usually, this type of maneuver is intended to boost the momentum of the space vehicle. Are you sure that the velocities are correct and relative to the lab frame?
NotVerySmart said:
Please see my working for

^M=mx^v

^M= 7140000
m= 1860000
^v= 3.84 m/s
I am not sure I understand what you are asking us to do here. Are these new masses? Please explain.

1. What is the purpose of having someone read through my working out?

The purpose of having someone read through your working out is to get a second opinion on your calculations and to ensure that your reasoning and methodology are clear and accurate. This can help you identify any errors or areas that may need improvement.

2. Who should I ask to read through my working out?

You can ask a colleague, mentor, or anyone with expertise in your field to read through your working out. It is important to choose someone who is knowledgeable and can provide constructive feedback.

3. How can I make sure my working out is clear and easy to understand?

To make your working out clear and easy to understand, you should organize your calculations and steps in a logical and systematic way. Use labels, headings, and diagrams to help clarify your thought process. Additionally, ask your reader to provide feedback on the clarity of your working out.

4. Should I have someone read through my working out before or after I complete my project?

It is recommended to have someone read through your working out both before and after you complete your project. This will help you identify any errors or areas that need improvement before your final submission, and also provide a final check to ensure the accuracy and clarity of your work.

5. Is it okay to have multiple people read through my working out?

Yes, it is okay to have multiple people read through your working out. In fact, it can be beneficial to get feedback from different perspectives. However, make sure to choose your readers wisely and consider their feedback objectively.