Can someone check my work please, thank you.

In summary, the conversation was about a problem involving two hockey players colliding and finding the resultant velocity of the pair. The conversation includes equations and calculations, with the final answer being 8.5 m/s [N15°E]. There is also a mention of the answer being slightly different from the textbook, indicating that the textbook may be incorrect.
nesan
Can someone check my work please, thank you. :)

Homework Statement

A hockey player of mass 85 kg traveling at 15 m/s [N] collides with another hockey player of mass 70 kg at 5.0 m/s [E]. If the two hockey players lock skates during the collision and are held together, find the resultant velocity of the pair. Assume there is no friction.

Homework Equations

Ʃinitialρ = Ʃfinalρ

3. Solution, I feel like it is wrong because my answer is 0.2 off what it is in the textbook, I have no idea what decimal place they took. :(

(70) * (5) = (155) (v * cosθ)

(85) * (15) = 155(v * sinθ)

---------------------------

350 = (155) (v * cosθ)

1275 = 155(v * sinθ)

------------------

sqrt((350)^2 + (1275)^2) ≈ 1322.17

1322.17 / 155 ≈ 8.5 m/s [N15°E]

The answer in the textbook is 8.3 m/s [N16°E]

Someone check if I'm correct please. Thank you. :)<3

Physics news on Phys.org

I get your answer.

PhanthomJay said:
I get your answer.

Yay! :)

Textbook's wrong again. xD

1. Can someone check my work for free?

It depends on who you are asking. Some people may be willing to check your work for free, while others may charge a fee for their services. It's always best to clarify this beforehand to avoid any misunderstandings.

2. How long does it take for someone to check my work?

This also varies depending on the person and the complexity of your work. Some people may be able to check your work quickly, while others may need more time to thoroughly review it. It's best to communicate your deadline and ask for an estimated time frame before handing over your work.

3. Will someone give me feedback on my work?

Again, this depends on the person you are asking. Some may simply check for errors and corrections, while others may provide more detailed feedback and suggestions for improvement. It's important to be clear about what type of feedback you are looking for.

4. Can I trust someone to check my work?

This is a valid concern, especially if you are sharing sensitive or confidential information. It's always best to ask for recommendations from trusted sources or to work with someone who has a good reputation for checking work accurately and confidentially.

5. How can I ensure that my work is accurately checked?

One way to ensure accuracy is to provide clear instructions and guidelines to the person checking your work. It's also helpful to communicate any specific areas or aspects that you need them to focus on. You can also ask for a second opinion or do your own double-checking before submitting your work.