Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Could the new particle @ CERN be a massive graviton?

1. Jul 8, 2012 #1
    Hi PF.

I was wondering, if the newly observed particle @ CERN, could be a massive tensor boson, like a massive graviton. I have not been able to find out, whether ATLAS or CMS have determined if the new particle is a scalar, vector or tensor boson, so I thought it would be intersting, if the new particle would be a massive graviton.

Would it be plausible, that the newly discovered boson would be a massive graviton?

\Schreiber

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 8, 2012 #2

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

Spin 2 is not ruled out yet.
    However, massive gravitons would be strange - do you propose gravity with several different gravitons? If there are gravitons, at least one has to be massless to produce the long-ranging effects of gravity we experience.

4. Jul 8, 2012 #3
    I was listening to their announcement and the evidence seems to point to the boson being scalar. The idea of multiple massed Gravitons is an interesting idea though.

5. Jul 9, 2012 #4
    It could be a massive scalar partner of a massless tensor graviton. e.g. see papers on Higgs as radion.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook