Could you explain the concepts behind this question

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of resistance and its relation to Ohm's law and electric potential. The conversation also includes a problem involving a truncated cone and how to calculate its resistance.
jimmy1988
I'm trying this question. i know that resistance is the concept of ohms law together with electric potential giving rise to V/I but i can't seem to know how to start. Please advice

A material of resistivity r is formed into the shape of a truncated cone of altitude h. The bottom end has radius b , and the top end has radius a . Assume
that the current is distributed uniformly over any circular cross section of the cone, so that
the current density does not depend on radial position. (The current density does vary
with position along the axis of the cone.) Show that the resistance between the two ends is
described by the expression: R= (density/pi)*(h/ab)

Physics news on Phys.org
welcome to pf!

hey jimmy! welcome to pf! :smile:

(have a pi: π :wink:)

pretend the cone is a series of very thin discs of height dh :wink:

alright thanks! i'll try that

1. What do you mean by "concepts" in this question?

In this context, "concepts" refers to the fundamental ideas or principles behind the question. It may include theories, definitions, or key concepts that are crucial to understanding the question.

2. How do you approach explaining the concepts behind a question?

As a scientist, I typically start by breaking down the question and identifying any key terms or concepts. Then, I research and gather information about those concepts to gain a deeper understanding. I may also use visual aids or real-life examples to help explain the concepts in a more concrete way.

3. Can you provide an example of a question where explaining the concepts is important?

One example could be a question about the greenhouse effect and its impact on climate change. In order to fully understand this question, one must first explain the concept of the greenhouse effect and how it works in trapping heat in the Earth's atmosphere.

4. Is it necessary to explain the concepts behind every question?

It depends on the complexity of the question and the level of understanding of the audience. In some cases, it may be necessary to provide an explanation of the key concepts to ensure that the audience fully comprehends the question. In other cases, the concepts may already be well-known and do not need to be explained.

5. How do you ensure that your explanation of the concepts is accurate?

As a scientist, I rely on reliable sources and scientific evidence to ensure the accuracy of my explanations. I also make sure to critically analyze and evaluate the information before presenting it to others. In some cases, I may collaborate with other experts in the field to ensure the accuracy of my explanations.