1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Magnetic Field of Rotating Circular Ring

1. Jul 7, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Find the magnetic field at position z (z=0 in the plane of the ring) along the rotation axis for a circular ring of radius r, carrying a uniform linear charge density λ, and rotating about its axis with angular velocity ω.

2. Relevant equations
    I=q/t
    ω=2πf
    f=1/period
    Biot-Savart Law

3. The attempt at a solution
    I can determine the magnetic field when the ring is just a current loop that is not rotating. Once the rotation comes into play I get really confused about how to handle the linear charge density λ and the angular velocity.

I see that I can solve for time in the equation for current (I=q/t) and end up with: I=(qω)/(2π)

I think λ=charge/length but should it instead be: λ=dq/dl?

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 8, 2015 #2

ShayanJ

Gold Member

You're misunderstanding the problem. Its not a current loop rotating, its a charged loop rotating. So if it wasn't rotating, it was simply a charged loop. But now that its rotating, its setting charged particles in motion in a circular path. So its actually the same as a current loop.

4. Jul 8, 2015 #3
    I understand that there are many similarities between the magnetic field above a current loop and the magnetic field above a spinning charged loop. The issue is, how do I incorporate the charge density into the problem?

The differential element of current di = (2πdq)/ω and dq = λdl so di=(λ2πdl)/ω

Does dl = 2πrdr?

5. Jul 8, 2015 #4

ShayanJ

Gold Member

To find the magnetic field, you need to use Biot-Savart's law ## \vec B=\frac{\mu_0}{4\pi} \int \frac{I d \vec l \times \vec r}{r^3} ##.
    Where ## d\vec l ## is the differential length(so its dimension is length not length2 so rdr can't be right) along the wire in the direction of current and ##\vec r ## is the displacement vector from the wire element to the point of observation.
    Here we're talking about a circle. If we use cylindrical coordinates and assume the loop is at z=0, its obvious that the loop is defined by ## \rho=const=R ##. So the differential length should be in the direction of the azimuthal angle ## \phi ##, which means ## d\vec l =Rd\phi \hat \phi##.
    The problem wants the magnetic field along the loops axis, so the point of observation is located on the z axis, ##\vec r_o=z_o \hat z ##. The wire element is located at ## \vec r_e=R\hat \rho ##. So we have ##\vec r=\vec r_o-\vec r_e=z_o\hat z-R\hat \rho ## and ##r=\sqrt{z_o^2+R^2}##.
    The current, as you mentioned before, is ## I=\frac{dq}{dt} ##. Here we have a rotating linear uniform charge distribution. So we have ## I=\frac{\lambda Rd\phi}{dt}=\lambda R \omega ##.
    Now you should put all of the above in the integral and calculate it.

6. Jul 8, 2015 #5
    So I originally solved a different problem which was to find the magnetic field for a loop of current and got: [tex]B=\frac{{μ_0}Ir^2}{2(r^2+z^2)^\frac{3}{2}}[/tex]

Then the problem changed and it was a charged loop rotating and using your help with dl I got: [tex]B=\frac{{μ_0}qr^3ω}{4πr(r^2+z^2)^\frac{3}{2}}[/tex] and using λ=q/(2πr) it simplifies to: [tex]B=\frac{{μ_0}Ir^2}{2(r^2+z^2)^\frac{3}{2}}[/tex] which is the same exact result for a loop of current!

So they're both the same and now your first response makes more sense. Is this all correct?

7. Jul 8, 2015 #6

ShayanJ

Gold Member

Yeah, that's correct.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted