1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Coulomb's Law and electric force

1. Feb 20, 2006 #1
    I can't seem to figure out how to do this problem. I've tried the equation for coulomb's law, but I can't get the right answer. If somebody can just help me with setting the problem up.

Two objects ar rubbed against each other. Object B gains a charge of -5 nano-coulombs. What is the electric force between the two objects when the distance between them is 3.0 cm? Also, how do I convert the nano-coulombs to coulombs?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 20, 2006 #2

nrqed

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You multiply by [tex] 10^{-9} [/tex], ([tex]1 nc= 10^{-9} C [/tex]).

the question si very ambiguous. *Assuming* that the two objects were initially uncharged and *assuming* that they can be treated as point charges then the answer should be given by Coulomb's law. (what did you use for the two charges? One should be +5 nc and the other -5 nc. Also, did you put the distance in meters?)

Pat

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?