Coulombs law and vectors, find the force vector

In summary, two identical bullets with a weight of 500 mg each are hanging from ropes 40 cm in length. They were given equal charges of the same type and repelled from each other, forming a 60 degree angle between the ends of the ropes. Using Coulomb's law and trigonometry, the charges of the bullets and the force that tightens the ropes can be calculated. The bullets are in equilibrium, meaning the sum of all forces on them is zero. By setting up two equations for vertical and horizontal forces, the unknowns of charge and tension can be solved for.
starryeyed
This is probably really obvious but I have a hard time with vectors and really don't know what it's supposed to look like..I'm not even sure if to draw the grav. force vectors starting from the ends of the ropes or straight down from the centers of the bullets.

Homework Statement

Two identical bullets, which both weigh 500 mg are hanging off of ropes 40 cms in length. They were both given equal charges of the same type (both positive or both negative) after which they repelled from each other and remained fixed at a position such as to form a 60 degree angle between the ends of the ropes. Find the charges of the bullets and the force that tightens the ropes.

Homework Equations

Coulombs law- F= k times q1q2/r2

The Attempt at a Solution

Ok so I drew a triangle and by using trig laws I found that r= 34 cm=0.34 m. Also the grav. force on the two bullets is 0.00049 N. So now I should be able to find the force between the bullets from the grav. vectors and the angle and then solve for the charges except I have no idea as to how to do that? Also my drawing is attached.

Attachments

• 20090817100312.png
    20090817100312.png
    1.4 KB · Views: 455
Physics news on Phys.org
Pick one of the bullets and identify all the forces acting on it. (Hint: Three forces act.) Draw a free body diagram for that bullet. What does the fact that the bullet is in equilibrium tell you about the net force?

Hi there,

Nice diagram. You are in a static problem, meaning nothing moves. Therefore, from Newton's second law, you can deduce what? (come on that's an easy one)

From this deduction, you should be able to draw an equation.

Cheers

I get that the sum of all the forces is zero. However I still have two unknown forces, one along the rope and the electromagnetic force. Even knowing the sum of all three doesn't help. What am I missing?

starryeyed said:
I get that the sum of all the forces is zero. However I still have two unknown forces, one along the rope and the electromagnetic force. Even knowing the sum of all three doesn't help. What am I missing?
The electric force can be expressed in terms of the charge, so your only unknowns end up being charge and tension. Which is a good thing, since they are just what you are asked to find.

Hint: Set up two equations: one for vertical forces, one for horizontal.

1. What is Coulomb's Law?

Coulomb's Law is a fundamental law of physics that describes the electrostatic force between two charged particles. It states that the force of attraction or repulsion between two charged particles is directly proportional to the product of their charges and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them.

2. How is Coulomb's Law related to vectors?

Coulomb's Law involves both the magnitude and direction of the force between charged particles, making it a vector quantity. The direction of the force is determined by the direction of the electric field between the two charged particles, which is also a vector quantity.

3. Can Coulomb's Law be used to find the force vector?

Yes, Coulomb's Law can be used to find the force vector between two charged particles. The magnitude of the force can be calculated using the formula F = k(q1q2/r^2), where k is the Coulomb's constant, q1 and q2 are the charges of the two particles, and r is the distance between them. The direction of the force can be determined using the direction of the electric field, which can be found using the vector equation E = F/q where E is the electric field, F is the force, and q is the charge of the particle experiencing the force.

4. What is the unit of force in Coulomb's Law?

The unit of force in Coulomb's Law is Newtons (N). This is because force is a derived unit, and the SI unit for charge is Coulombs (C), which is used in the formula for Coulomb's Law.

5. Can Coulomb's Law be used to calculate the force between more than two charged particles?

Yes, Coulomb's Law can be used to calculate the force between any number of charged particles. The total force on a particular charged particle is the vector sum of all the individual forces acting on it from the other charged particles. This can be calculated by finding the vector components of each individual force and adding them together using vector addition.