1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Coulomb's law, balancing a ball with point charges

1. Feb 6, 2009 #1
    3 equal charges q are at the vertices of an equilateral triangle as shown, with the z-axis running through the midpoint of the triangle (such that the distance from each charge to the midpoint is d)

[​IMG]

a bead of charge Qb (of equal sign as the 3 charges q) is supposed to be levitated on the positive z-azis (coming out of the midpoint of the triangle). Derive an expression for the coloumb force exerted on the bead as a function of its position on the positve z-axis

2. Relevant equations

F = (K * |q| * |Qb| ) / r^2 is the force in the radial direction (straight line connecting the 2 charges)

3. The attempt at a solution

OK I'm kind of having trouble here....

The force from each charge would simply be F = (K * |q| * |Qb| ) / (d^2 + z^2)
    (by pythagorean theorem, the square of the line connecting each charge to any point on the positive z-azis would be d^2 + z^2)
    So far so good
    because of the way the charges are positioned positioned , the x and y components of the vectors will cancel each other in between the 3 charges (I think) so we're left toworry only about the z-component of each radial vector...but how do i do calculate for this z-component?

If i break down the radial force into 2 components, with one in the x-y plane and the other in the z-direction, then the angle etween the xy-plane component and the radial component is tan^-1 (z/d)....but now hat i have the hypotenuse ((K * |q| * |Qb| ) / (d^2 + z^2) ) and the angle tan^-1 (z/d), how do i isolate for just the z-component of the radial vector?
    z-component of the vector would be the hypotenuse times cos of the angle....but i have the angle expressed as inverse tan of (z/d) so how can i take the cos of something i only have expressed as that? I am totally lost as to how to derive this expression...

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 6, 2009 #2

rl.bhat

Homework Helper

Radial force can be written as F = i*Fx + j*Fy + k*Fz
    Direction of the F is given by direction cosines. z component of the F = Fz = F*cos(gamma)= F*z/r. This is due to one charge.

4. Feb 6, 2009 #3
    So how does cos(gamma) come out to z/r?

5. Feb 6, 2009 #4
    OH never midn i udnerstand where it comes from....If i do it by similar triangles than
    Fz / Ftot = z / r
    Fz = Ftot * z/r

So i guess Fz = kqQb * z / (Z^2+D^2)^2

thanks for the help :)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?