1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Coulomb's Law (Finding the force due to two other charge, not only one)

1. Sep 26, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    In the figure below, determine (a) the electric force on 10 micro Coulomb due to other charges, and (b) the electric force on 2 micro Coulomb due to other charge

2. Relevant equations
    Coulomb's Law

Fe = kq1q2/D²
    k = 9.0 x 10^9

3. The attempt at a solution

I really don't know what to do since there are three charges and I should get the Fe due to other two charges. Should I get the Fe in each charge then subtract it? :confused:

10 and 2

Fe = 9x10^9(10x10^-6)(2x10^-6) / 0.005
    Fe = 36N

Fe = 9x10^9(10x10^-6)(5x10^-6) / 0.005
    Fe = 90N

Fe of 10micro Coulomb = 90 - 36 = 54N?

I really don't know, but I'm trying my best.
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 26, 2008
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 26, 2008 #2
    Pick an origin first. It doesn't really matter where you place it, but I usually place it on the particle that you are trying to determine the E field for. This is a two dimensional problem, so determine the x- and y- components of the force on the particle due to each individual particle. To find the total force on the particle, add the x- and y-components together (principle of superposition); this gives you the force vector acting on the particle.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?