Coulombs law stuff I dont know what they are asking

In summary: You've almost got it, except that the expression for F 1 on 3 due to Coulomb's law should have in the denominator the *distance between charge 1 and charge 3.* What is this distance?thats what stumpped me...they gave no distance. Only the varible "d".
red ink
Two charged particles, with charges q_1=q and q_2=4q, are located a distance d apart on the x axis. A third charged particle, with charge q_3=q, is placed on the x-axis such that the magnitude of the force that charge 1 exerts on charge 3 is equal to the force that charge 2 exerts on charge 3.
Find the position of charge 3. Assume that all three charges are positive.

So charge 3 could be inbetween charge 1 and 2, or to the left of charge 1. The problem wants me to find "2 possible VALUES" of charge 3. How can i find a value when no values were given to me in the word problem. THey want the X_3,1, and X_3,2 in terms of Q, D, and K (coulomb constant).

Physics news on Phys.org
red ink said:
Find the position of charge 3. Assume that all three charges are positive.

Okay, so it sounds like the problem is asking for you to find a location for charge 3 on the x-axis such that the electric forces exerted on it by each of the other two charges are equal (in magnitude).

red ink said:
The problem wants me to find "2 possible VALUES" of charge 3.

No, the value of charge 3 is given, q3 = q. You must mean that the problem wants you to find two possible positions for charge 3.

red ink said:
How can i find a value when no values were given to me in the word problem.

You answered that question yourself right here:

red ink said:
THey want the X_3,1, and X_3,2 in terms of Q, D, and K (coulomb constant).

This problem is a fairly straightforward application of Coulomb's law, which allows you to calculate the electric force between two charges given the magnitude of the charges and the distance between them. It shouldn't be too hard considering you're only working in one dimension. For simplicity, why not put q1 at the origin and q2 a distance d to the right? If q3 is at some position x3, just write an expression for the force exerted by each of the other two charges on it according to Coulomb's law.

e.g

[tex] F_{\textrm{2 \,on \,3}} = k\frac{q_2 q_3}{d-x_3} = k\frac{4q^2}{d-x_3} [/tex]

Can you write a similar expression for the force due to q1 on q3? If the required condition is that these two forces must be equal, equate the expressions! :smile: Can you solve for x3?

Thank you in advance for your reply...forgive me for my poor formating in my posts. This LaTeX Code stuff is kinda confusing!

So by equate the expressions, you mean Force 1 on 3 will look just like the expression you gave me for Force 2 on 3, with the only difference being the numerator is "q^2" instead of 4q^2 since Charge 3=q?
[tex] F_{\textrm{1 \,on \,3}} = k\frac{q_1 q_3}{d-x_3} = k\frac{q^2}{d-x_3} [/tex]
to solve for x_3, set [tex] F_{\textrm{1 \,on \,3}} = F_{\textrm{2 \,on \,3}} [/tex]. This should give me a quadratic equation with 2 real value solutions?
x_3,1, x_3,2 = these values?

Last edited:
You've almost got it, except that the expression for F 1 on 3 due to Coulomb's law should have in the denominator the *distance between charge 1 and charge 3.* What is this distance?

thats what stumpped me...they gave no distance. Only the varible "d". I already failed it online, but i'd like to know what i should have put. I had no clue what they were asking for.

1. What is Coulomb's Law?

Coulomb's Law is a fundamental law of physics that describes the force between two electrically charged particles. It states that the force between two charged particles is directly proportional to the product of their charges and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them.

2. How is Coulomb's Law expressed mathematically?

Coulomb's Law can be expressed as F=k(q1q2/r^2), where F is the force between the two particles, k is a constant known as the Coulomb's Law constant, q1 and q2 are the charges of the particles, and r is the distance between them.

3. What is the significance of the Coulomb's Law constant?

The Coulomb's Law constant, represented by the letter k, is a fundamental constant in physics that relates the force between two charged particles to their charges and the distance between them. It has a value of approximately 8.99x10^9 Nm^2/C^2.

4. How is Coulomb's Law related to electric fields?

Coulomb's Law is closely related to electric fields. The electric field at a point is defined as the force per unit charge that a small test charge would experience if placed at that point. Coulomb's Law can be used to calculate the magnitude and direction of the electric field at any point in space.

5. What are some real-life applications of Coulomb's Law?

Coulomb's Law has many practical applications, including in the design and operation of electronic devices, such as computers and cell phones. It is also used in the study of atomic and molecular structures, as well as in the fields of chemistry and biology to understand the interactions between charged particles. Additionally, Coulomb's Law plays a crucial role in the functioning of power grids and electrical systems.