Count Rate (Quick Clarification)

• Thread starter _Mayday_
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Count Rate
In summary, the conversation discusses the inverse square law and its application to determining the expected count rate of a source at a different distance. The correct equation is determined and the value of the constant is found, leading to the final answer of 25 counts when the distance is 80mm. The conversation also touches on the mistake of assuming that doubling the distance will always result in a quartering of the count rate.
_Mayday_
[SOLVED] Count Rate (Quick Clarification)

Problem

The count rate of a source is 64 counts a second when 50mm away from the source. Assuming the inverse square law is obeyed, what would be the expected count rate when the source is 80mm away.

Solution

[tex]64 = 50[/tex][/quote]
I know what you mean but I cringe at seeing that. 64 is NOT equal to 50!

Distance doubles, count rate quarters.
Yes, that is true.

[tex]1280 = 10[/tex] Divide distance by 5, and so times countrate by 20
No, if the distance is divided by 5 (multiplied by 1/5) then the times are multiplied by 52= 25.

[tex]40 = 80[/tex] Times distance by 8, and so divide countrate by 32.

Count rate = 40
No, if multiply the distance by 8, you divide the countrate by 82= 64.
Oh, I see, you grabbed that "4" from "distance doubles" and are multiplying everything by it. It doesn't work that way. If you divide the distance by 2, then, as you say, the countrate is multiplied by 4. But if you divide by 2 again (to get 1/4 of the original distance) you multiply by 4 again- so you actually multiply by 16. If you divide by 4 yet again (to get 1/8 of the original distance) you multiply by 4 again: 4(16)= 64= 82.

_Mayday_

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I'm afraid your solution isn't correct. Try writing down an equation representing the relationship between distance and count rate.

As the distance doubles, the count rate falls by a factor of 4.

Count rate = 64 Distance = 50mm

Count rate = 65536 Distance = 10mm

Count rate = 1 Distance = 80mm

That isn't correct. I must be going wrong. Am I correct in saying that if the distance doubles, then the count rate will quarter?

That isn't the definition of the inverse square law.

What is the definition of the inverse square law?

[tex]A = \frac{constant}{B^2}[/tex]

Determine what A and B are in this case and find the value of the constant first

[tex]Activity = \frac{Constant}{Distance^2}[/tex]

_Mayday_ said:
[tex]Activity = \frac{Constant}{Distance^2}[/tex]
Correct, now all you need to do is determine the value of the constant.

That's funny we have studied the inverse square law, but the teacher has somehow managed to miss that! It looks to me to be the inverse square law in it's simplest form and yet he missed it? On a 12 question paper this is the only one I appear to have gotten wrong, which is suprising as it is only question 2! I'll have a word with my teacher!

[itex]Countrate = \frac{Constant}{Distance^2}[/itex]

[itex]64 = \frac{Constant}{50^2}[/itex]

[itex]64 = \frac{Constant}{2500}[/itex]

[itex]64 \times 2500 = Constant[/itex]

[itex]Constant = 160000[/itex]

[itex]Countrate = \frac{160000}{6400}[/itex]

Countrate = 25 Counts.

Okay, now using common sense I can say that this sounds about right. If I double 50mm to 100mm, and then quater 64 I get 16. But now I know that it must be greater than 16, as the distance doesn't quite double. Though this may sound stupid, atleast it is reassuring in my mind. If my answer is incorrect, then I probably sound like an idiot now! :haha:

Thanks to both Hoot and Astrorob for knocking some sense into me!

_Mayday_

Last edited:
No problem, glad to be of help.

1. What is count rate?

Count rate refers to the number of events recorded by a detector in a given time period. It is a measure of the rate at which particles or photons are detected.

2. How is count rate measured?

Count rate is typically measured using a detector, such as a Geiger counter or a photomultiplier tube, which records the number of particles or photons that strike it in a certain time period. The count rate can then be calculated by dividing the number of events by the time period.

3. What factors can affect count rate?

Count rate can be affected by a variety of factors, including the type of detector used, the energy of the particles or photons being detected, the distance between the detector and the source, and the background radiation present.

4. How is count rate related to radiation dose?

There is no direct relationship between count rate and radiation dose. Count rate is simply a measure of the number of particles or photons detected, while radiation dose is a measure of the amount of energy deposited in a material by ionizing radiation. However, count rate can be used to estimate radiation dose in certain situations, such as in medical imaging or environmental monitoring.

5. How can count rate be used in scientific research?

Count rate is often used in scientific research to study the properties of particles, such as their energy and decay rates. It can also be used to measure the intensity of sources, such as radioactive materials or celestial objects. Additionally, count rate can provide valuable information in fields such as nuclear physics, astrophysics, and environmental science.