Counterbalancing a ladder with a fulcrum at 3'-6" from top

  • Level: High School 
  • Thread starter Thread starter cathrysist
  • Start date Start date
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 5K views
cathrysist
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
Hi,

I can't remember the equation for counterbalance using a fulcrum. I have a ladder that I need to counterbalance at 3'-6" from the top.

Can anyone help me with this?

Thank you,
Sandy
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

cathrysist said:
I can't remember the equation for counterbalance using a fulcrum. I have a ladder that I need to counterbalance at 3'-6" from the top.

Hi Sandy! Welcome to PF! :smile:

Use equality of moments … moment = force times (perpendicular) distance. :smile:
 
Welcome to the PF, Sandy. Is this question for schoolwork? If so, I can move the thread to the PF's Homework Help section, where homework/coursework questions should be posted. If your question is a general question for your home or work, then it can probably stay here in the general forums. The Rules link at the top of the page outlines what kinds of posts go where.

Good to have you here!