Looking for info on balancing and counterbalancing design.

• Thread starter Voltux
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Design
In summary, the conversation is about designing a counterbalance for an engine crankshaft. The individual is interested in learning about how to calculate the mass and placement of the counterbalance, as well as the workings of a dynamic balancing system. They are looking for scientific terms and book recommendations to aid in their research. They also mention wanting to know the name of a mechanism that can multiply torque at the cost of distance traveled.
Voltux
I wasn't quite sure which section to post this in but engineering was the closest to my application, although this could be a basic physics question. I'm not sure.

I want to learn how to design a counterbalance such as that in an engine crankshaft. This mechanism has been of interest to me lately, not necessarily applied to engines but the crankshaft and how the lobes are calculated and balanced so perfectly in rotating equipment.

Specifically what I would like to understand:

- How to calculate the mass and placement of the mass for the counterbalance.

- How a dynamic balancing system can work. Specifically how does a mass that extends further from "center" modify the balance. The mechanism that comes to mind is one that is in a centrifuge I saw. There was a weight that got extended further out from the geometric center. Would this produce a force similar to a teeter totter? "Cantilever"?

This thread comes to mind: https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/shaft-balancing.825599/

However, I do not have a background in physics so I am looking for the scientific names of what I should be researching as I have been unable to find much information on this specific subject in engineering texts I assume this might be straight applied physics?

What I think I'm looking for:

- Scientific terms of the balancing, counterbalancing mechanism as they relate to physics so that I know what I'm looking for.

- Book recommendations, or a place to start researching.

- The name of the mechanism of which if force is applied to a cantilever?? that it multiplies torque at the cost of distance travelled? (I can't remember the name and googling the terms like cantilever isn't finding me what I'm looking for)

I think I can figure out the actual applications and design parts if someone can point me towards the correct terms for these items. I genuinely appreciate it!

Physics news on Phys.org
Read

Also do a general search on : Static + Dynamic + Balancing + Shafts + Methods + Mechanisms

Likes Voltux

1. What is balancing and counterbalancing design?

Balancing and counterbalancing design is a method used in scientific research to minimize the effects of extraneous variables on the results of an experiment. It involves distributing the different levels of an independent variable equally among different groups, and also systematically varying the order in which the groups receive the different levels of the independent variable.

2. Why is balancing and counterbalancing important in research?

Balancing and counterbalancing is important because it helps to control for the effects of extraneous variables on the results of an experiment. By distributing the levels of the independent variable equally and systematically varying their order, researchers can ensure that any differences in the results are due to the independent variable and not external factors.

3. How is balancing and counterbalancing achieved?

Balancing and counterbalancing can be achieved by randomly assigning participants to different groups, and also by varying the order in which the groups receive the different levels of the independent variable. Randomization ensures that the groups are similar in terms of their characteristics, and varying the order prevents any potential order effects from influencing the results.

4. What are the advantages of balancing and counterbalancing design?

The main advantage of balancing and counterbalancing design is its ability to control for extraneous variables and increase the internal validity of an experiment. This means that the results are more likely to accurately reflect the true relationship between the independent and dependent variables. It also allows for stronger conclusions to be drawn from the results.

5. Are there any limitations to balancing and counterbalancing design?

One limitation of balancing and counterbalancing design is that it can be time-consuming and may require a larger sample size in order to achieve sufficient statistical power. Additionally, it may not be feasible to fully control for all extraneous variables, and some may still have an impact on the results. However, these limitations can be minimized by carefully designing the experiment and implementing appropriate statistical analyses.