Counterexamples needed for integration question

In summary, the conversation discusses the requirements for proving that if f(x) is greater than or equal to 0 for all x and f is continuous, then the integral of f from a to b equals 0 implies that f(x) must equal 0 for all x in [a,b]. The first part of the question is successfully proven using a proof by contradiction, but the second part requires a counterexample to show that both hypotheses are necessary. Examples of suitable counterexamples are f(x)=x^3 for the first assumption and f(x)={0,1} for the second assumption.
Rosey24

Homework Statement

The original question required me to show that for f(x) >= 0 for all x, f continuous, where the integral (from a to b) of f =0, that f(x) = 0 for all x in [a,b]. I did that, using a proof by contradiction.

Second part of the question requires me to show that the two hypotheses (f(x) being >= 0 and f being continuous) were required.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I think counterexamples would show this, but can't figure out what would make a counterexample. Do I need to take f(x)<0 for f continuous and show that its integral can't equal zero? Similarly, take f(x)>=0 but not continuous and show that its integral also can't equal zero?

Physics news on Phys.org
Rosey24 said:
I think counterexamples would show this, but can't figure out what would make a counterexample. Do I need to take f(x)<0 for f continuous and show that its integral can't equal zero? Similarly, take f(x)>=0 but not continuous and show that its integral also can't equal zero?
Almost. You want the integral to be zero. And for the first bit, you don't really need f(x)<0 for all x, just f(x0)<0 for some x0 in [a,b]. (Actually if f(x)<0 for all x, it won't work, because the integral won't be zero.)

Last edited:
so would taking f(x) = x^3, which is continuous, be a suitable counterexample for the first assumption?

I can't think of a function that is always positive and isn't continuous, though.

Yup. That works provided you integrate on some interval symmetric about 0, like [-1,1].

How about

[itex]
f(x)=\begin{cases}
0 &\text{if } x \neq 0\\
1 &\text{if } x = 0
\end{cases}
[/tex]

for the second one?

1. What is a counterexample in mathematics?

A counterexample in mathematics is an example that disproves a statement or theory. It is a specific case that shows the statement to be false, even though it may seem true at first glance.

2. How are counterexamples used in integration problems?

In integration problems, counterexamples are used to show that a particular method or approach to solving the problem does not work. They help identify errors and limitations in solutions and guide towards finding the correct solution.

3. Why is it important to find counterexamples in integration questions?

Finding counterexamples in integration questions is important because it helps to avoid incorrect solutions and provides a deeper understanding of the problem. It also allows for the development of new and more effective methods for solving integration problems.

4. Can a counterexample be used to prove a statement?

No, a counterexample cannot prove a statement to be true. It can only disprove a statement and show that it is false. To prove a statement, it is necessary to provide a valid mathematical proof.

5. How can one find counterexamples for integration questions?

To find counterexamples for integration questions, one can start by assuming the statement or method to be true and then looking for a specific case where it fails. It is also helpful to think about extreme or unusual cases that may not fit the general pattern of the problem.