• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products via PF Here!

Counting the number of set-subset pairs within H

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
##H=\{1,2,3,\dots , 10\}##. Determine the following number: ## \#([G,F];G\subseteq F \subseteq H)##.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
Here is my reasoning. If ##G=\emptyset##, there are ##2^{10}## ways to choose ##F##, so ##\binom{10}{0}2^{10}## total. If ##|G|=1##, there are ##2^9## ways to choose ##F##, so ##\binom{10}{1}2^9## ways total. And so on, until ##|G|=10##, so there is only one way to choose ##F##, and so ##\binom{10}{10}\cdot 1## ways in total.

These are are disjoint cases, so we sum them up: $$\sum_{k=0}^{10}\binom{10}{10-k}2^{k} = \sum_{k=0}^{10}\binom{10}{k}2^{k} = 3^{10}$$.

Does this all look like the correct reasoning?

BvU

Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Not clear to me if the ordering is relevant. If not, your 210 shrinks to 20...:rolleyes:

Not clear to me if the ordering is relevant. If not, your 210 shrinks to 20...:rolleyes:
Could you elaborate? In my solution ##2^{10}## is how many subsets of ##H## there are. Order is not relevant because we're just forming subsets, I believe.

BvU

Science Advisor
Homework Helper
My bad, it looks like the total number is staggering indeed...

Dick

Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Does this all look like the correct reasoning?
You can also count your ##3^{10}## directly. The sets ##G\subseteq F \subseteq H## can be identified by assigning a status to each element of ##H##. It can be either i) only in ##H##, ii) in ##F## and ##H## but not in ##G## or ii) in all three sets. That's three possibilities for each element of ##H##. Hence ##3^{10}## ways.