Coupled Vertical Spring-Mass Systems

In summary, the conversation discusses solving a system of equations involving springs and masses. One option is to solve a fourth order ODE, while another is to use static equilibrium equations. The equations for static equilibrium are shown, along with equations for displacement from equilibrium. By expanding these equations, the boxed terms can be shown to be 0, simplifying the equations.
graviton_10
Homework Statement
A vertical spring mass system is attached in series with another vertical spring mass system. Masses of both objects are different and so are the spring constants of both springs. y1 and y2 are the coordinates measured from the rest position of mass 1 and mass 2 respectively.

I have identified the forces on both masses using free body diagram, but I do not know how to proceed next.
My final goal is to set up matrix equation and then solve for normal frequencies.
Relevant Equations
Mq'' = Kq
How should I proceed?
112.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I'm getting ##\downarrow^+##:

$$m_1 \ddot y_1 = m_1 g - k_1( y_1 - l_1) + k_2 \Big[ (l_2 + y_2) - (l_1 + y_1) \Big]$$

$$m_2 \ddot y_2 = m_2 g - k_2 \Big[ (l_2 + y_2) - (l_1 + y_1) \Big]$$

As for solving the system, another option is to solve a single fourth order ODE by either solving ##y_1## in terms of ##y_2## and computing ##\ddot y_1## or visa-versa.

Actually, I blundered too.

1670942861162.png

Let ##l_1## and ##l_2## be the unloaded free lengths of the springs. The equation for static equilibrium ( LHS of the diagram)

$$ m_1 g - k_1( y_1 - l_1) + k_2( y_2 - l_2) = 0 \tag{1} $$

$$ m_2 g - k_2( y_2 - l_2 ) = 0 \tag{2}$$

Now, displace ##m_1, m_2## from equilibrium by some distance ## \Delta y_1, \Delta y_2## respectively. What follows is that:

$$ m_1 \ddot{\Delta y_1} = m_1 g - k_1( y_1 + \Delta y_1 - l_1 )+ k_2( y_2 + \Delta y_2 - \Delta y_1 - l_2) \tag{3}$$

Now, expand (3) as follows:

$$ m_1 \ddot{\Delta y_1} = \cancel{ \boxed{m_1 g - k_1( y_1 - l_1) + k_2( y_ 2 - l_2)}}^0 -k_1 \Delta y_1 + k_2( \Delta y_2 - \Delta y_1)$$

Notice the boxed terms are identically 0 by (1). It follows that:

$$ m_1 \ddot{\Delta y_1} = -k_1 \Delta y_1 + k_2( \Delta y_2 - \Delta y_1) \tag{4}$$

I'll let you determine the result for ##m_2##.

Last edited:

1. What is a coupled vertical spring-mass system?

A coupled vertical spring-mass system is a physical system that consists of two or more masses connected by springs, where the motion of one mass affects the motion of the other masses. The system can be described using the principles of classical mechanics and is commonly used in engineering and physics experiments.

2. How does the stiffness of the springs affect the behavior of a coupled vertical spring-mass system?

The stiffness of the springs in a coupled vertical spring-mass system determines how much force is required to stretch or compress the springs and affects the natural frequency of the system. A higher stiffness will result in a higher natural frequency and a faster oscillation of the masses.

3. What is the natural frequency of a coupled vertical spring-mass system?

The natural frequency of a coupled vertical spring-mass system is the frequency at which the system will oscillate without any external forces acting on it. It is determined by the masses of the objects and the stiffness of the springs and can be calculated using the formula: f = 1/2π√(k/m), where k is the spring constant and m is the mass of the system.

4. How does damping affect the motion of a coupled vertical spring-mass system?

Damping is the process of reducing the amplitude of the oscillations in a spring-mass system. In a coupled vertical spring-mass system, damping can occur due to friction or air resistance. It can decrease the amplitude of the oscillations and affect the system's natural frequency.

5. What are some real-life applications of coupled vertical spring-mass systems?

Coupled vertical spring-mass systems have many practical applications, such as in shock absorbers for vehicles, suspension systems for buildings, and vibration isolation systems for sensitive equipment. They are also commonly used in mechanical clocks and watches to keep accurate time.