Covariant/contravariant transform and metric tensor

In summary: I'm wondering if there's something I don't understand about matrices, and whether the order of terms matter for multiplication.In summary, the conversation discusses the use of transformation matrices, specifically contravariant and covariant matrices, and their relationship to the metric tensor. The issue of calculating the inverse of the metric tensor is also brought up and resolved through further calculation. The importance of the order of terms in matrix multiplication is also mentioned.
nigelscott
H is a contravariant transformation matrix, M is a covariant transformation matrix, G is the metric tensor and G-1 is its inverse. Consider an oblique coordinates system with angle between the axes = α

I have G = 1/sin2α{(1 -cosα),(-cosα 1)} <- 2 x 2 matrix

I compute H = G*M where M = {(1 0), (cosα sinα)} and get H = {(1 -1/tanα),(0 1/sina)} which is what I expect.

Now I want go from H back to M so I compute M = G-1H

So by my reckoning G-1 = 1/sin4α{(1 cosα),(cosα 1)}

But when I multiply G-1 and H I don't get back to M. The is a 1/sin4α multiplying the whole thing.
What am I missing?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
When you say G is the metric tensor, the metric tensor converts contravariant to covariant? Or is it the other way around?

Actually, I think it's pretty clear that the issue is with your computed [itex]G^{-1}[/itex]. The operator [itex]G[/itex] has determinant 1. You've got an extra factor of [itex]1/\sin^2 \alpha[/itex] for some reason. Did you forget the prefactor from [itex]G[/itex] somewhere?

Last edited:
contravariant = G * covariant
covariant = G-1 * contravariant

If G = 1/sin2α{(1 -cosα),(-cosα 1)}

then wouldn't G-1 = (1/sin2α)(1/|detG|){(1 +cosα),(+cosα 1)}

which gives 1/sin4α{(1 +cosα),(+cosα 1)}

Now if I compute GG-1 I get 1/sin4{(sin2α 0),(0 sin2α)} which is equivalent to 1/sin2α{(1 0),(0 1)}

So I get the identity matrix multiplied by 1/sin2α which doesn't add up.

Incidentally, this question came up as a result of watching this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qDLmJE2bOy4

nigelscott said:
contravariant = G * covariant
covariant = G-1 * contravariant

If G = 1/sin2α{(1 -cosα),(-cosα 1)}

then wouldn't G-1 = (1/sin2α)(1/|detG|){(1 +cosα),(+cosα 1)}

which gives 1/sin4α{(1 +cosα),(+cosα 1)}

You're saying [itex]\det G = 1/\sin^2 \alpha[/itex]? Because it's not.

No, I thought I had 1/|detG| where |detG| = 1 - cos2α = sin2α

It's not [itex]\sin^2 \alpha[/itex] either. Why don't you go through the whole calculation of the determinant?

G = 1/sin2a{(1 -cosa),(-cosa 1)} = {(1/sin2a -cosa/sin2a),(-cosa/sin2a 1/sin2a)}
detG = 1/sin4a - cos2a/sin4a = 1/sin2a
Thus, 1/|detG| = sin2a
So G-1 = sin2a{(1 +cosa),(+cosa 1)}
Now GG-1 does equal the identity matrix. Am I good so far? If so I will return to my original question in the next post.

Okay, now that you're getting the identity for [itex]GG^{-1}[/itex], I expect the problems you were having will be resolved.

Yes, I got it to work when I used the form G-1 = sin2α(1 +cosα),(+cosα 1)}. If I use G-1 = {(sin2α +cosα.sin2α),(cosα.sin2α,1)} it doesn't.

1. What is a covariant/contravariant transform?

A covariant/contravariant transform is a mathematical operation that transforms the coordinates of a vector from one basis to another. It is used in the study of tensors and is important in understanding the geometry of curved spaces.

2. What is the difference between covariant and contravariant?

In a covariant transform, the components of the vector are transformed in the same way as the basis vectors. In a contravariant transform, the components are transformed in the opposite way as the basis vectors. This is due to the different ways in which the vectors and basis vectors transform under a change of coordinates.

3. What is the metric tensor?

The metric tensor is a mathematical object that relates the length and angle measurements in a curved space to those in a flat space. It is used to define the inner product between two vectors in a curved space.

4. How is the metric tensor used in covariant/contravariant transforms?

The metric tensor is used to raise and lower indices in a covariant/contravariant transform. This is done by multiplying the components of a vector by the metric tensor, which is a matrix of coefficients that depends on the specific geometry of the space being studied.

5. What are some applications of covariant/contravariant transforms and the metric tensor?

Some applications of covariant/contravariant transforms and the metric tensor include general relativity, where they are used to describe the curvature of spacetime, and fluid dynamics, where they are used to study the behavior of fluids in curved spaces. They are also used in other areas of physics and engineering, such as in computer graphics and image processing.