Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Covariant Derivative Commutation

1. Sep 22, 2012 #1
    Hello,

Can anyone tell me the general formula for commuting covariant derivatives, I mean, given a (r,s)-tensor field what is the formula to commute covariant derivatives?

I found a formula here page 25, Eq.6.18 but it doesn't seem right, since for a vector field one would write:

[itex](\nabla_{\alpha} \nabla_{\beta}- \nabla_{\beta}\nabla_{\alpha})U^{\gamma}=R^{\gamma}\hspace{.5 mm}_{\delta \alpha \beta}U^{\delta}[/itex]

And according to the formula in the link it would be, for a vector field

[itex](\nabla_{\alpha} \nabla_{\beta}- \nabla_{\beta}\nabla_{\alpha})U^{\gamma}=-R^{\gamma}\hspace{.5 mm}_{\delta \alpha \beta}U^{\delta}[/itex]

Thank you

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 23, 2012 #2

Matterwave

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I see only a difference in minus signs between the two expressions which can be accounted for in the convention used to define the Riemann tensor. I believe this formula is correct (at least for a coordinate basis, I cannot be sure if there are more terms for a non-coordinate basis).

4. Sep 25, 2012 #3

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

For non-coordinate (aka anholonomic) basis, compute the Riemann tensor (it doesn't matter which sign convention you use) with the connection coefficients as provided in MTW page 210, formula 8.24b.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook