Compute the flux of vector field through a sphere

In summary, the conversation discusses how to compute the flux of a vector field across a unit sphere using the Gauss Divergence Theorem. The method of parametrization is mentioned, along with finding the unit normal and using spherical coordinates. The final answer is determined to be the same as the volume of the sphere.
jerzey101

Homework Statement

Compute the flux of the vector field F(x,y,z)=(z,y,x) across the unit sphere x2+y2+z2=1

Homework Equations

I believe the forumla is ∫∫D F(I(u,v))*n dudv
I do not know how to do the parameterization of the sphere and then I keep getting messed up with the normal vector.*
So you convert the sphere equation into spherical coordinates? I am so lost please help. Thank you!

The Attempt at a Solution

is I=(sin∅cosθ,sin∅sinθ,cos∅)?
Then to find n you compute the cross product of T X Tθ?
Then multiple F(I(u,v))*n?
Then integrate?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi jerzey101. Welcome to PF!

Use the Gauss Divergence Theorem - it greatly simplifies the problem.
[tex]\iint_S \vec F \hat n \,.d\sigma= \iiint_D div \vec F\,.dV[/tex] where S is the smooth oriented surface and D is a simple closed region.
[tex]\vec F= z\hat i + y\hat j+x\hat k[/tex]
The volume of the sphere is given by: [itex]\iiint_S \,.dV[/itex]

In case you haven't yet done the Gauss Divergence Theorem, then you can also find it (although a little bit more work is involved) by surface integral using: [itex]\iint_D \vec F \hat n \,.d\sigma[/itex]. You need to find [itex]\hat n[/itex] which is the outward unit normal from the surface of the sphere.

Last edited:
There are a few ways to do this problem. Has your class covered the divergence theorem (Gauss' Theorem)? If so then that is a real fast way to do the problem.
If not then your procedure of parametrization looks good. But even then can you find the unit normal in an easier fashion? Geometrically, what vector is perpendicular to the surface of a sphere?

I believe I got it.
so div(F)=0+1+0=1
using spherical coordinates
2∏0010p2sin∅ dpd∅dθ
which I got to equal 4/3∏
That look correct?

jerzey101 said:
I believe I got it.
so div(F)=0+1+0=1
using spherical coordinates
2∏0010p2sin∅ dpd∅dθ
which I got to equal 4/3∏
That look correct?

It's the same volume as that of the sphere: [tex]\frac{4\pi r^3}{3}[/tex] where r=1.

Your answer is correct.

ooo ok. Thanks a lot!

1. What is a vector field?

A vector field is a mathematical function that assigns a vector to each point in space. This vector represents the magnitude and direction of a physical quantity, such as velocity or force, at that point.

2. What does it mean to "compute the flux" of a vector field?

The flux of a vector field is a measure of how much of the vector field is passing through a given surface or boundary. It is calculated by integrating the dot product of the vector field and the surface's normal vector over the surface.

3. How is the flux of a vector field through a sphere calculated?

The flux of a vector field through a sphere is calculated by taking the surface integral of the dot product of the vector field and the unit normal vector of the sphere. This can be simplified using the Divergence Theorem, which relates the surface integral to the volume integral of the divergence of the vector field.

4. What information is needed to compute the flux of a vector field through a sphere?

To compute the flux of a vector field through a sphere, you will need the equation for the vector field, the equation for the sphere, and the unit normal vector of the sphere. You will also need to specify the region of the sphere for which you want to calculate the flux.

5. What is the significance of calculating the flux of a vector field through a sphere?

Calculating the flux of a vector field through a sphere can provide insight into the behavior of the vector field within that region. It can also be used in various physical applications, such as calculating the flow of fluid through a boundary or the electric or magnetic flux through a surface.