Covariant macroscopic electromagnetism

In summary, covariant macroscopic electromagnetism is a theoretical framework used to describe the behavior of electric and magnetic fields in materials. It takes into account the effects of both electric and magnetic fields on the macroscopic scale, rather than the individual particle level. This framework is essential for understanding and predicting the behavior of electromagnetic waves, as well as the properties of materials such as conductors and insulators. By considering the relationship between electric and magnetic fields, covariant macroscopic electromagnetism provides a more comprehensive understanding of electromagnetism and its practical applications.
I wondered if anyone had a good online reference on the covariant formulation of Maxwell's macroscopic equations and the other equations of classical electromagnetism?

The wikipedia article talks about constituitive equations in vacuum, which doesn't make a lot of sense to me since M and P are 0 by definition.

Physics news on Phys.org
I had the same problem but I couldn't find the answer in online sources.
I only can suggest you "Classical electromagnetic theory" by Jack Vanderlinde.

Which Wikipedia article?

Hm, but it's given just in the next section of the Wikipedia article, referring to Minkowski's model for the linear-response consitutive relations.

Yes, but I don't want to assume linear constitutive relationships. The Wikipedia treatment is also just too disjointed for me to follow well. I am looking for a more systematic and general covariant presentation.

OK, this is from the book I mentioned:
[itex] H_{\mu \nu} [/itex] is the anti-symmetric tensor containing H and D fields. It has the same dimensions as the H field and the D and H components located in it and what are their signs can be derived by analogy with [itex] F_{\mu \nu} [/itex].
[itex] P_{\mu \nu} [/itex] is the anti-symmetric tensor containing M and P fields. It has the same dimensions as the M field and, again, where the D and H components located in it and what are their signs can be derived by analogy with [itex] F_{\mu \nu} [/itex].
Now we have the equations below:
[itex]
H_{\mu\nu}=\varepsilon_0c^2F_{\mu\nu}+P_{\mu\nu}
[/itex]
[itex]
\partial_\mu H^{\mu\nu}=J^\nu
[/itex]
EDIT: Looks like the Wikipedia page contains the things I wrote in this post. So what else do you need DaleSpam?

Last edited:
Last edited:
DaleSpam said:
The wikipedia article talks about constituitive equations in vacuum, which doesn't make a lot of sense to me since M and P are 0 by definition.

The covariant constitutive equation relates E with D and B with H, even in the vacuum case (e.g., [itex]\vec D=\epsilon_0 \vec E[/itex]).

From a more abstract viewpoint, that example is actually more than a proportionality relation between two vector fields. The vector E is the metric-dual of a one-form, and (in (3+1)-dimensions) the vector D is the metric-dual of the Hodge-dual of a twisted two-form. (The latter is similar to how a cross-product of two vectors in 3D can be thought of as a [pseudo-]vector.)

robphy said:
Check out various works by Fred Hehl:
http://arxiv.org/abs/physics/9907046
http://arxiv.org/abs/physics/0005084
http://arxiv.org/abs/0807.4249
arxiv.org/find/physics/1/au:+Hehl_F/0/1/0/all/0/1
...and his references.

Do a google search for these three:
  • van dantzig electromagnetism
  • post electromagnetics
  • ingarden jamiolkowski electrodynamics
(I am interested in premetric formulations.)
Thanks. I am still going through these.

Hehl's "gentle introduction" paper made an interesting comment that I had never considered. After introducing equation 8.2 he says "there is no physical exchange between the bound and the external charges". Since each is separately conserved he is correct, but I guess that means that this approach cannot model something like dielectric breakdown where the bound charge becomes so strong that it turns into a free current.

A covariant definition of the polarization-magnetization 2-form P is
dP=*j
where j is the charge-current form for the microscopic charges in the medium and * is the dual.
Obviously P is defined only up to the differential dA of a 1-form C as ddC=0. In optics one usually choses C so as to make magnetization vanish while in static situations this leads to a divergenge as ω→0.
Note the close analogy to the definition of the vector potential A in terms of the electromagentic field strength
dA=E
where A is also defined only up to a total derivative df of a gauge function f.
Macroscopic equations are obtained by considering the components of P with low wavenumber.
Covariant constituitive relations are obtained when the induced charge-current density j due to E is calculated covariantly.

1. What is covariant macroscopic electromagnetism?

Covariant macroscopic electromagnetism is a branch of physics that studies the behavior of electromagnetic fields and their interactions with matter on a macroscopic scale. It uses the principles of Maxwell's equations and special relativity to understand and predict the behavior of electromagnetic phenomena in the world around us.

2. How is covariant macroscopic electromagnetism different from other branches of electromagnetism?

Covariant macroscopic electromagnetism differs from other branches of electromagnetism, such as quantum electromagnetism, in that it deals with electromagnetic phenomena at a larger scale. It also takes into account the effects of special relativity, which becomes important when dealing with high speeds or strong gravitational fields.

3. What are some real-world applications of covariant macroscopic electromagnetism?

Covariant macroscopic electromagnetism has a wide range of applications in modern technology, including telecommunications, power generation and distribution, medical imaging, and electronic devices. It also plays a crucial role in understanding natural phenomena, such as the behavior of lightning and the formation of auroras.

4. How is covariant macroscopic electromagnetism used in research?

Covariant macroscopic electromagnetism is used in research to study and understand the behavior of electromagnetic fields in complex systems, such as biological cells, materials, and the Earth's atmosphere. It is also used to develop new technologies and improve existing ones, such as wireless communication and renewable energy sources.

5. What are some current areas of research in covariant macroscopic electromagnetism?

Some current areas of research in covariant macroscopic electromagnetism include the development of new materials with unique electromagnetic properties, the study of plasmas and their interactions with magnetic fields, and the exploration of the effects of extreme electromagnetic conditions, such as those found near black holes.