Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Covariant macroscopic electromagnetism

1. Aug 29, 2014 #1

Dale

Staff: Mentor

I wondered if anyone had a good online reference on the covariant formulation of Maxwell's macroscopic equations and the other equations of classical electromagnetism?

The wikipedia article talks about constituitive equations in vacuum, which doesn't make a lot of sense to me since M and P are 0 by definition.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 29, 2014 #2

ShayanJ

Gold Member

I had the same problem but I couldn't find the answer in online sources.
    I only can suggest you "Classical electromagnetic theory" by Jack Vanderlinde.

4. Aug 29, 2014 #3

Meir Achuz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Which Wikipedia article?

5. Aug 30, 2014 #4

Dale

6. Aug 30, 2014 #5

vanhees71

Science Advisor
    2016 Award

Hm, but it's given just in the next section of the Wikipedia article, referring to Minkowski's model for the linear-response consitutive relations.

7. Aug 30, 2014 #6

Dale

Yes, but I don't want to assume linear constitutive relationships. The Wikipedia treatment is also just too disjointed for me to follow well. I am looking for a more systematic and general covariant presentation.

8. Aug 30, 2014 #7

ShayanJ

Gold Member

OK, this is from the book I mentioned:
    [itex] H_{\mu \nu} [/itex] is the anti-symmetric tensor containing H and D fields. It has the same dimensions as the H field and the D and H components located in it and what are their signs can be derived by analogy with [itex] F_{\mu \nu} [/itex].
    [itex] P_{\mu \nu} [/itex] is the anti-symmetric tensor containing M and P fields. It has the same dimensions as the M field and, again, where the D and H components located in it and what are their signs can be derived by analogy with [itex] F_{\mu \nu} [/itex].
    Now we have the equations below:
    [itex]
    H_{\mu\nu}=\varepsilon_0c^2F_{\mu\nu}+P_{\mu\nu}
    [/itex]
    [itex]
    \partial_\mu H^{\mu\nu}=J^\nu
    [/itex]
    EDIT: Looks like the Wikipedia page contains the things I wrote in this post. So what else do you need DaleSpam?

Last edited: Aug 30, 2014
  9. Aug 30, 2014 #8

robphy

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Last edited: Aug 30, 2014
  10. Aug 30, 2014 #9

atyy

Science Advisor

11. Aug 31, 2014 #10

robphy

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

The covariant constitutive equation relates E with D and B with H, even in the vacuum case (e.g., [itex]\vec D=\epsilon_0 \vec E[/itex]).

From a more abstract viewpoint, that example is actually more than a proportionality relation between two vector fields. The vector E is the metric-dual of a one-form, and (in (3+1)-dimensions) the vector D is the metric-dual of the Hodge-dual of a twisted two-form. (The latter is similar to how a cross-product of two vectors in 3D can be thought of as a [pseudo-]vector.)

12. Aug 31, 2014 #11

Dale

Thanks. I am still going through these.

Hehl's "gentle introduction" paper made an interesting comment that I had never considered. After introducing equation 8.2 he says "there is no physical exchange between the bound and the external charges". Since each is separately conserved he is correct, but I guess that means that this approach cannot model something like dielectric breakdown where the bound charge becomes so strong that it turns into a free current.

13. Sep 4, 2014 #12

DrDu

Science Advisor

A covariant definition of the polarization-magnetization 2-form P is
    dP=*j
    where j is the charge-current form for the microscopic charges in the medium and * is the dual.
    Obviously P is defined only up to the differential dA of a 1-form C as ddC=0. In optics one usually choses C so as to make magnetization vanish while in static situations this leads to a divergenge as ω→0.
    Note the close analogy to the definition of the vector potential A in terms of the electromagentic field strength
    dA=E
    where A is also defined only up to a total derivative df of a gauge function f.
    Macroscopic equations are obtained by considering the components of P with low wavenumber.
    Covariant constituitive relations are obtained when the induced charge-current density j due to E is calculated covariantly.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook