Cover songs versus the original track, which ones are better?
- Thread starter pinball1970
- Start date
-
- Tags
- Track
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Ask a follow-up in this thread, or start your own.
2,607 replies · 201K views
Physics news on Phys.org
Point Conception
Gold Member
- 1,187
- 1,961
The original by Howlin Wolf sounds suspiciously like Last Night by The Mar-Keys
Hornbein
Gold Member
- 4,253
- 3,380
Going To A Go Go -- Originally by The Miracles, cover by The Rolling Stones
I think this whole concert from 1982 is great. In 2021 it was released semi-covertly in a "super deluxe" CD set.
I think this whole concert from 1982 is great. In 2021 it was released semi-covertly in a "super deluxe" CD set.
pinball1970
Gold Member
2025 Award
- 3,883
- 6,216
Yes a song writer first.DaveE said:Anything written by Bob Dylan but performed by someone else. Just saying... that guy can write but just can't sing at all. YMMV
I like most of the singles
Subterranean Homesick Blues
Like a rolling stone
Looks like a woman
Lay lady lay
Knocking on heavens door
I want you
Blowin in the wind
I cannot even remember his version of “All along the watch tower,” Hendrix finest hour in the studio for me.
Mighty Quinn is Manfred Man for me and Mr Tambourine man is the Byrds although I do like his version as well.
pinball1970
Gold Member
2025 Award
- 3,883
- 6,216
BillTre said:Some Dylan singing actually sounds good:
Knocking on Heaven's Door (the Hollywood production for a movie that should have gotten an Oscar in my opinion:
I'll check that out Bill
Hornbein
Gold Member
- 4,253
- 3,380
Bob said "give up smoking and you can sing like Caruso."
difalcojr
- 459
- 352
He does sound better on "Knockin' on Heaven's Door". Do you think he quit smoking, maybe? Not a great voice, but neither did Garcia have a good voice. Pigpen was their best vocalist in the beginning, I believe. Here's one I think fits Dylan's nasal voice well. From my favorite album of his.
OCR
- 996
- 936
Best Dylan song. . . ever! . 
.
.
difalcojr
- 459
- 352
Here's one I always liked, well, the album version anyway. Found this live Paris 1966 live version, not that good. Listening to his voice in the introduction, though, sounds like he's been smoking a pack/day, maybe. :)Hornbein said:Bob said "give up smoking and you can sing like Caruso."
Science Advisor
Gold Member
2025 Award
- 4,604
- 4,325
difalcojr said:Here's one I always liked, well, the album version anyway. Found this live Paris 1966 live version, not that good. Listening to his voice in the introduction, though, sounds like he's been smoking a pack/day, maybe. :)
Yes, one of my favorites of his. But, again, better when sung by someone else.
- 7,534
- 3,056
Unravel (Tokyo Ghoul)
TK from Ling Tosite Sigure ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toru_Kitajima ) - 2014
Asterism ( https://asterism.asia/en/biography/ ) - 2022
Asterism is currently one of my favorite bands.
TK from Ling Tosite Sigure ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toru_Kitajima ) - 2014
Asterism ( https://asterism.asia/en/biography/ ) - 2022
Asterism is currently one of my favorite bands.
- 7,534
- 3,056
Beethoven - Moonlight Sonata (3rd movement)
Valentina Lisitsa (2009)
Dr. Viossy (2011)
Tina S (2016)
Valentina Lisitsa (2009)
Dr. Viossy (2011)
Tina S (2016)
difalcojr
- 459
- 352
How about "Bring It on home to me". Sam Cooke, original. Eric Burdon and the Animals, the cover. I like both but can't beat the original.
Point Conception
Gold Member
- 1,187
- 1,961
Indeed I give them about 30%. Its like whites trying to cover Ray Charles: No kan doo. That's Huntington Beach btw
difalcojr
- 459
- 352
Agree, Judy Collins' cover is better than Dylan's original.DaveE said:Anything written by Bob Dylan but performed by someone else. Just saying... that guy can write but just can't sing at all. YMMV
I do like Joni Mitchell originals better than Judy Collins covers of them, though. I
I think Judy Collins cover of Leonard Cohen's "Suzanne" is even better than his very fine original version too.
Hornbein
Gold Member
- 4,253
- 3,380
That's Lou Rawls singing "backup." It's really a duet.
difalcojr
- 459
- 352
Well, the English bands were the first to do American blues. It wasn't played on the radio or popularized at all. Or covered much until the hippies tuned in too. Here's an early cover of what you're talking about, probably referring to. John Mayall, Eric Clapton, John McVie, Hughie Flint. Is that beach in Morro Bay?!morrobay said:Indeed I give them about 30%. Its like whites trying to cover Ray Charles: No kan doo. That's Huntington Beach btw
Point Conception
Gold Member
- 1,187
- 1,961
. Huntington Beach pier, Huntington Beach, CA
Point Conception
Gold Member
- 1,187
- 1,961
I give these lads close to 100%
difalcojr
- 459
- 352
Agreed. Here's another I want your opinion on. "Hideaway". Really like Freddie King's music and his original version. But Mayall's cover version with Eric Clapton I like just as much, even a bit more. 100% ?
Point Conception
Gold Member
- 1,187
- 1,961
These instrumentals sound about the same.(I have no music technical knowledge ) This style of blues is not particulary my style preference anyway. This leads into Paul Butterfield and a very large field of that style both black and white. For blues I like Jimmy Reed , a completely different blues style. Overall I prefer Ray Charles type soul and Motown.
Hornbein
Gold Member
- 4,253
- 3,380
Roger Daltry -- Born To Run
difalcojr
- 459
- 352
Yes, everyone has their own style preference. I like Jimmy Reed, Ray Charles and Motown too. Marvin Gaye/Tammi Terrell duets my favorites. Not sure if they covered anyone, but their covers would win. Beautiful harmony.morrobay said:These instrumentals sound about the same.(I have no music technical knowledge ) This style of blues is not particulary my style preference anyway. This leads into Paul Butterfield and a very large field of that style both black and white. For blues I like Jimmy Reed , a completely different blues style. Overall I prefer Ray Charles type soul and Motown.
Yes, blues leads into Butterfield and the U.S. blues scene. It was the Steve Miller Blues Band originally. Butterfield's cover of Muddy Waters' "Got My Mojo Working" with big Sam Lay singing and drums. That one song got everybody jumping for the blues.
30% for Eric Burdon (who had a great voice) in that awfully funny video is about right. The Englishmen looked completely lost on a California beach in a staged, lip-sync video. Hanging with what looked like the film extras cast right out of the Gidget movies. Huntington Beach, thks.
Point Conception
Gold Member
- 1,187
- 1,961
Well I'm 3rd generation native Californian. With many years in Laguna Beach . And there was nothing staged about that typical Beach crowd.difalcojr said:Hanging with what looked like the film extras cast right out of the Gidget movies. Huntington Beach, thks.
difalcojr
- 459
- 352
I liked surf music too. All of it, actually, I confess, a lot. Harmonies. Good vibes. Sunny, warm LA. Jimi Hendrix is my favorite rock guitarist; he sang something like 'may you never hear surf music again', but I don't agree with him. "Wipeout" by the Ventures. Lots of good music in every venue. Here's a Marvin Gaye/Tammi Terrell one since you brought in Marvin Gaye. Not much Motown I've seen on the posts?morrobay said:Well I'm 3rd generation native Californian. With many years in Laguna Beach . And there was nothing staged about that typical Beach crowd.
OCR
- 996
- 936
difalcojr said:I liked surf music too.
Best surf music and video. . . ever! .
.
- 7,534
- 3,056
Sails of Charon (Scorpions with Uli Jon Roth)
Scorpions - Sails Of Charon - Musikladen TV (16.01.1978)
Yngwie Malmsteen - Sails Of Charon (1996)
Uli Jon Roth - "The Sails of Charon (Scorpions)" (1/31/23) 70000 Tons of Metal
Scorpions - Sails Of Charon - Musikladen TV (16.01.1978)
Yngwie Malmsteen - Sails Of Charon (1996)
Uli Jon Roth - "The Sails of Charon (Scorpions)" (1/31/23) 70000 Tons of Metal
- 7,534
- 3,056
Happy Trails (1952 - Roy Rogers and Dale Evans)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Happy_Trails_(song)
Roy Rogers and Dale Evans - Happy Trails 1978
Van Halen (1982)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Happy_Trails_(song)
Roy Rogers and Dale Evans - Happy Trails 1978
Van Halen (1982)
Point Conception
Gold Member
- 1,187
- 1,961
Last edited: