Cover songs versus the original track, which ones are better?

  • Thread starter Thread starter pinball1970
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Track
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Ask a follow-up in this thread, or start your own.
2,602 replies · 201K views
pinball1970
Gold Member
2025 Award
Messages
3,878
Reaction score
6,212
Which songs were performed, arranged or produced better in a cover than the original version?
Which songs should have been left well alone?

Also, I think restricting the covers just to released singles will restrict some interesting stonkers and stinkers so album tracks are allowed.
 
  • Love
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: MotherMayhem and DennisN
Physics news on Phys.org
The Residents -- (I Can't Get No) Satisfaction

 
Original (the song, not the singer; song is too old to figure out who sang it first; possibly a Roma song)



Cover:

 
The composer said (I quote by memory) that he loves all three of them. He has been lucky to have created a song that was sung differently by 3 artists, but all were very good.





 
pinball1970 said:
Which songs were performed, arranged or produced better in a cover than the original version?
Which songs should have been left well alone?

Also, I think restricting the covers just to released singles will restrict some interesting stonkers and stinkers so album tracks are allowed.
"Better" depends on who is judging the two or more versions or arrangements. Also, "Better" depends on how YOU either agree or disagree with the person mentioned who is doing the judging.
 
symbolipoint said:
"Better" depends on who is judging the two or more versions or arrangements. Also, "Better" depends on how YOU either agree or disagree with the person mentioned who is doing the judging.
I do not agree with that. I think there is a judgment independent of personal taste.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Point Conception and pinball1970
symbolipoint said:
"Better" depends on who is judging the two or more versions or arrangements. Also, "Better" depends on how YOU either agree or disagree with the person mentioned who is doing the judging.
Give an argument, that is what is interesting.
 
Original:



Cover:

Equally good. Argument? Lemmy doesn't need a ... argument. :cool: 🤘
 
  • Like
  • Love
Likes   Reactions: pinball1970 and gmax137
Here's one of my favorite covers (as they say, watch to the end)

 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: jasonRF, pinball1970 and fresh_42
fresh_42 said:
... Orbison Video
I don't think I have ever seen this. I had a Moto Guzzi just like the one in the video; black tank with chrome knee panels. I wonder where it is now.
 
fresh_42 said:
Original:



Cover:

Equally good. Argument? Lemmy doesn't need a ... argument. :cool: 🤘

You love Lemmy you are biased! ;
 
Another cover?

the_words_of.jpg
 
  • Haha
  • Like
  • Love
Likes   Reactions: jasonRF, Hornbein, Bystander and 3 others
gmax137 said:
Here's one of my favorite covers (as they say, watch to the end)


This is where it gets interesting.
Agree this is amazing BUT I hated it compared to S&G. That is what this thread is about.
As a stand alone, amazing Vocals and live so respect there BUT with that gentle minimal 1960s sound and harmony S&G had, that is absent here, this version destroys it.
My Neice would have heard this version and thought it is amazing. Listening to the original she would probably be disappointed with the lack of anger passion and insanity. I'll check with her, she is an expert in something i can never be. Being young.
 
pinball1970 said:
This is where it gets interesting.
Agree this is amazing BUT I hated it compared to S&G.
I like 'em both, for different reasons. Simon & Garfunkel's version is quiet and contemplative, whereas the Disturbed version is angry about it.

"Hurt" - Nine Inch Nails original and Johnny Cash cover:




Always seems to be something in my eye when I hear Cash's version.
 
  • Like
  • Love
Likes   Reactions: PhDeezNutz, pinball1970 and fresh_42
pinball1970 said:
This is where it gets interesting.
Agree this is amazing BUT I hated it compared to S&G. That is what this thread is about.
As a stand alone, amazing Vocals and live so respect there BUT with that gentle minimal 1960s sound and harmony S&G had, that is absent here, this version destroys it.
My Neice would have heard this version and thought it is amazing. Listening to the original she would probably be disappointed with the lack of anger passion and insanity. I'll check with her, she is an expert in something i can never be. Being young.

I think it has at least a reason to exist. It is differently interpreted and doesn't destroy the memory of the original. They both are good songs. What makes me angry is, if people cover an already perfect song and ruin it, i.e. if they do not add something, a different interpretation, a different arrangement, or whatever.

This is a cover that makes sense:

Original:



Cover:



... and this is an example where there wasn't any need to record the cover. The original was better and the cover didn't add or change anything. Just the same song, only worse.

Original:



Cover:

 
Last edited:
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: difalcojr and pinball1970
"Venus": (I favor the original, it's so cool :smile:)

Cover: Bananarama - Venus


Original: Shocking Blue - Venus
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: WWGD, AlexB23 and pinball1970
"You Keep Me Hangin' On"

(I liked Kim Wilde back in the days, but I still favor the original, I think there is more feeling and desperation in the original)

Cover: Kim Wilde - You Keep Me Hangin' On


Original: The Supremes - You Keep Me Hangin' On
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Astronuc and pinball1970
"Twist and Shout"

(I haven't listened much to the original)

Cover: The Beatles - Twist and Shout


Original: Twist and Shout - Top Notes 1961 (Rare original version)
 
"Tainted Love"

(a darn good song, I like both the cover and original, but if I have to choose I go for the original)

Cover: Soft Cell - Tainted Love


Original: Gloria Jones Tainted Love Original 1964
 
fresh_42 said:
I do not agree with that. I think there is a judgment independent of personal taste.

pinball1970 said:
Give an argument, that is what is interesting.
NO! I am not an artist. An artist should be able to answer what you tell to do, better can I, and very reliably too.
 
symbolipoint said:
NO! I am not an artist. An artist should be able to answer what you tell to do, better can I, and very reliably too.
You do not need to be an artist, art is not just for the artist. Art is also for the observer, listener and reader.

And the critic.

Anyway this is far easier, we are just looking at the creator and the copyist or rather the original verses the copy. Not as technical as the artist contribution, the value of the piece.
 
Last edited:
pinball1970 said:
You do not need to be an artist, art is not just for the artist. Art is also for the observer, listener and reader.

And the critic.

Anyway this is far easier, we are just looking at the creator and the copyist or rather the original verses the copy. Not a technical as the artist contribution, the value of the piece.
Whether I like or dislike any cover version will not be how another listener must react to that cover version. I would find very very little way to reason why I am correct and the other listener to be incorrect. I am trying to find a way to "judgement independent of personal taste".
 
symbolipoint said:
I am trying to find a way to "judgement independent of personal taste".
Good luck with that! I don't see how it is possible.
 
symbolipoint said:
Whether I like or dislike any cover version will not be how another listener must react to that cover version. I would find very very little way to reason why I am correct and the other listener to be incorrect. I am trying to find a way to "judgement independent of personal taste".

gmax137 said:
Good luck with that! I don't see how it is possible.

Please stay on topic.
 
"Working Class Hero"

Covered by many artists. I favor the original, but here is one cover I really like:

Cover: Tina Dico - Working class hero (Danish singer/songwriter)


Original: John Lennon - Working Class Hero
 
Hornbein said:
The Residents -- (I Can't Get No) Satisfaction


I found that very disturbing. You prefer this to the original?