Cover songs versus the original track, which ones are better?

  • Thread starter Thread starter pinball1970
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Track
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Ask a follow-up in this thread, or start your own.
2,607 replies · 201K views
pinball1970 said:
This guy records buskers in Cardiff centre.


Anyone who can wear a little black dress like that has won my approval.

I'll see your Wales and raise you Northern Ireland. In the winter yet.



Too bad that Mariel Hemingway is no longer drumming for them.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Hornbein said:
Orig



Today


I have complimented Walter on his Jazz playing before.
 
How can he do that with only a pick? I see it but I can't believe it. From Romania.

 
Hornbein said:

Wow she is good. I found this

 
Hornbein said:
How can he do that with only a pick? I see it but I can't believe it. From Romania.


It's a recording over the video but I don't think it's impossible with a pick.
This girl is amazing btw. Her voice is perfect for Plant.
 


Kevin Gilbert recorded this solo in one night for a LZ tribute album but somehow it was rejected! An LA radio station got a copy and it became a local hit. Kevin Gilbert had it all and seemed destined for stardom but died young under sordid circumstances you would rather not know about.

Then there's Ofra Haza of Yemen, who also died young.

 
Last edited:
Foxes and Fossils, California Dreaming. For me the high point is the doubled eguitar solo. I hear that a lot from Japan, it appears to be making it to the States. Or maybe it's electronics, I can't tell.

 
Last edited:
pinball1970 said:
Wow she is good. I found this


Dang, better than the orig.
 


Amazing. I think the drummer is a 13-year-old Chinese girl who appears in another of their videos packing an extremely authoritative sound.

Those images at 0:17 were in Life magazine. I liked them so much I cut them out and put them on my walls. They might still be in storage somewhere.

I checked out one of those basses in a used goods store in Kashiwa. Some sleazeball had stolen the bridge, which isn't attached. I somehow took another bass home without paying for it. (Maybe the checkout got confused.) The Kashiwa police knocked on my door and drove me back to the place to make restitution.

Ellen A sings too,.
 
Last edited:
Hornbein said:
Foxes and Fossils, California Dreaming. For me the high point is the doubled eguitar solo. I hear that a lot from Japan, it appears to be making it to the States. Or maybe it's electronics, I can't tell.


You know what I think of F&F, just great you posted "Carry on" and I have been watching them ever since.
If I would have had girls we would have a band now! Certainly growing up.
My son is an ok guitar player, nothing fiddly though.
 
Orig. (Superhuman style)



Cover on Guzheng



Here's a translation of the artist's comments.

Let me replay Conny Berghäll's Fingerstyle Divine Comedy. After playing it, I want to publish an article called "About the things I was abused to crack when I played the 6-string guitar with a 21-string guzheng". Cry, family! Some phrases of this song can be said to be anti-human on the guzheng, so the original speed of 190 is really not up, and 186 is really trying. Special thanks to Teacher Xiaoxiao for the detailed scores and tutorials!

Hope you like it! Remember to subscribe to this channel!
Please subscribe to my channel!
music
SONG
【Fingerstyle Guzheng】Revolution —— Touch Porcelain
ARTIST
ink rhyme
 
This is the original of California Dreaming. I sure didn't know that.



Here's the peculiar story of Eve Of Destruction. It was done in one take as a rough cut. Barry McQuire didn't really know the song. They were going to do it again. This demo leaked to a radio station and was a massive hit. So they released it that way.

Often times the first take is the best. Drummer Dennis Chambers says he never plans anything out.

 
Last edited:
Hornbein said:
This is the original of California Dreaming. I sure didn't know that.



Here's the peculiar story of Eve Of Destruction. It was done in one take as a rough cut. Barry McQuire didn't really know the song. They were going to do it again. This demo leaked to a radio station and was a massive hit. So they released it that way.

Often times the first take is the best. Drummer Dennis Chambers says he never plans anything out.


Ok, so that is a story I did not know. First, thank heavens they gave it back to the Mamas and Papas!
McGuire can be heard left pan at the beginning, they just taped over his vocal.
You are supposed to be able to hear the harmonica solo too under the flute but my ear cannot pick it out (loss of some higher frequencies I think)
Not mentioned is Mamas and Papas backing on first recording can be heard.
"I passed along the way."
 
I never knew this was about Lord of the Rings till fairly recently!?

Only criticism of this is the drums, it Bonham crying out loud! PLAY with power! You cannot tippy tappy the chorus like that.

 
pinball1970 said:
I never knew this was about Lord of the Rings till fairly recently!?

Only criticism of this is the drums, it Bonham crying out loud! PLAY with power! You cannot tippy tappy the chorus like that.


And you gotta sing "do doot do dodo ya do yeah" over the fadeout.
 
The Allman Brothers' Little Martha. Leo Kottke said this was the best guitar piece ever written. I guess he oughta know.

 
Last edited:
A two-man band. That guy has the Robert Plant-style hyper nature. I believe he's German.

 
Last edited:
 
Last edited:
The images she sings of appear in my mind's eye. It's like magic.

 
Last edited:
Walters girl. Not an easy tune for a kid, a lot of the phrases end on the maj 7th.
Be interesting to see what happens as her voice matures.
I love the high five with dad at the end.
 
Sometimes a true artist can make even a crappy song sound good:



Ene without a young Toni Wine.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: pinball1970 and Hornbein
There's a reason Emmylou Harris is famous. Singing The Beatle's Here There and Everywhere.

Emmylou broke into country music as a proud hippy but didn't keep that image for long.

 
Last edited:
The REO Brothers do The Beach Boys



That bass player needs to work on his posture though. You can't get any power singing like that.
 
pinball1970 said:

Ha, I already posted that one.