Cover songs versus the original track, which ones are better?

  • Thread starter Thread starter pinball1970
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Track
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Ask a follow-up in this thread, or start your own.
2,607 replies · 201K views
Some more honorable mentions, it is a bit hard to call these better than their original, but they are pretty much on par as far as I'm concerned:











Ok, I'll stop now. I think I can fill this entire thread :)
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: pinball1970 and Hornbein
Physics news on Phys.org
The Locomotion

LIttle Eva was Carol King's babysitter. I used to think Carol was the baby, but realized later this was unrealistic. Further reducing the glamor, Carol contacted her as a singer first. The babysitting was just a side gig.

Little Eva

Kylie Minogue
 
Last edited:
fresh_42 said:
I always wonder where they got all the hair from for that hairstyle from the fifties and the sixties.
Grows out of their heads, or gets added in some way.
 
BillTre said:
Grows out of their heads, or gets added in some way.
The bee hive is added. The Ronettes ethnicity: African American, Cherokee, Irish American, and Puerto Rican
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Astranut and difalcojr
fresh_42 said:
I always wonder where they got all the hair from for that hairstyle from the fifties and the sixties.
Wigs! EDIT: Really big ones
 
Last edited:
Ok, I just came to think about a cover that I like...

Original: Iggy & The Stooges - Search & Destroy (actually mixed by David Bowie)
Cover: EMF - Search & Destroy (I like it because of the energy and the guitars :smile:)
 
pinball1970 said:
@strangerep will recognize the Ian Gillan connection!
Indeed!

Have you seen the (very poor quality) video of Ian Gillan recording "Gethsemane"? Every time I hear someone else (except Petr Elfimov) sing that song (e.g., John Farnum, and others) I just want to sigh and turn them off. :oldfrown:

Have you seen Petr Elfimov's orchestral renditions of both Gethsemane and Child in Time? Not bad, I thought, although the theatrical aspects of his performance seemed to me a touch (but only a touch) less genuine than Gillan, who always comes across as totally committed.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: pinball1970 and Astranut
strangerep said:
Have you seen the (very poor quality) video of Ian Gillan recording "Gethsemane"?
Yes post #705! The film of JCSS was unwatchable for me. Murray Head was fantastic on the album as was Gillan. @strangerep
 
Last edited:
These dudes are cover masters (by no means I think the original Zeppelin one is any worse though):



But oh, that guitar solo...
 
jogezep said:
These dudes are cover masters (by no means I think the original Zeppelin one is any worse though):



But oh, that guitar solo...

This was posted before I think and I did not give it a chance. Yeah I was very hasty. Great cover.
 
The Japanese music scene revolves around TV theme songs. Here's Go Go Maniac!, the theme song to an anime about high school girls who form a rock band. After a year they can play like experts.

Jazz bands do covers of TV theme songs.

Cover by Platina Jazz, Count Basie style. I think they are Russians who live in Tokyo.



Here's another cover, by Maurry. It's pretty close to the not-quite-as-frantic original. Finally someone found a use for the thin sound of the Fender Jazzmaster.
 
Orig Shake Your Hips by Slim Harpo


Cover by Jesse Dayton
 
Covering Van Halen's Dreams. I usually don't go for highly accurate covers but this is flabbergasting. A one-man van Halen! I would have thought it a very remote possibility.

Electronic drums are starting to sound as good as the real thing. Easier to carry around, easier to record, easier to control the volume live, and the neighbors less likely to call the cops. Are they cheaper? Real drums appear to be on the way out.
 
Last edited:
Hornbein said:
Electronic drums are starting to sound as good as the real thing.
What they are doing with [rubber!] cymbals just amaze me! In the following video, they talk about muting the sound just by touching the cymbal with your fingers! It simply uses the static electricity as a signal.

​
 
Hornbein said:
Covering Van Halen's Dreams. I usually don't go for highly accurate covers but this is flabbergasting. A one-man van Halen! I would have thought it a very remote possibility.

Electronic drums are starting to sound as good as the real thing. Easier to carry around, easier to record, easier to control the volume live, and the neighbors less likely to call the cops. Are they cheaper? Real drums appear to be on the way out.
I have played a few and my biggest complaint is that they look, feel and sound crap.
I played bass for a bit just after Covid and the drummer had a set, he spent forever getting a sound and it still sounded rubbish.
I had a go and nothing about it felt or sounded right.
Good for practice if you do not have sound proofing but the feel could affect your technique. Another thread perhaps in the NY.
 
  • Haha
Likes   Reactions: DennisN and difalcojr
This lady is amazing, stumbled upon her looking for Cloud busting, Kate Bush.

"Suspended in Gaffa."

 
Last edited:
jack action said:
What they are doing with [rubber!] cymbals just amaze me! In the following video, they talk about muting the sound just by touching the cymbal with your fingers! It simply uses the static electricity as a signal.

​

They are horrible, I never got used to them.
 
At local clubs here in Bali three out of three drummers were using electronic drums. Cajon or a suitcase-like thing played with sticks.
 
Hornbein said:
At local clubs here in Bali three out of three drummers were using electronic drums. Cajon or a suitcase-like thing played with sticks.
Mm...

These guys don't use them, I've listened to a few now and I think they are great.
 
pinball1970 said:
Mm...

These guys don't use them, I've listened to a few now and I think they are great.

Them boys shore kin sing.
 
Enthusiasts of Surf Rock might like to look for recordings (or videos) of Huevos Rancheros group, who do or did cover versions. Very good or excellent in my opinion.