Cover songs versus the original track, which ones are better?

  • Thread starter Thread starter pinball1970
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Track
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Ask a follow-up in this thread, or start your own.
2,608 replies · 201K views
One of the most covered songs ever.

Orig.


Jazz
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Orig


Cover which was the hit.
 
Last edited:
Hornbein, in post #2256, the Jerry Lee Lewis Ramblin' Rose simply gives "(!) Video Unavailable, This video is not available". I will try a search directly in YouTube....

..., so I did find some, but none with the particular thumbnail image in your post.
 
symbolipoint said:
Hornbein, in post #2256, the Jerry Lee Lewis Ramblin' Rose simply gives "(!) Video Unavailable, This video is not available". I will try a search directly in YouTube....

..., so I did find some, but none with the particular thumbnail image in your post.
I guess it's blocked in your country. So I edited the post to use another version.

The MC5 may have been inspired by this one.

 
Hornbein
The version you placed in your post through editing shows labeling that partly does not match the piece of music. Singer sure does sound like Jerry L. Lewis, and the music sure does seem "Ramblin' Rose"; but the record shows a title of "I've been twisten'", instead of "Ramblin' Rose".
 
The video which @Hornbein posted for JLL's Ramblin' Rose contains a base pattern that resembles or is much like this; which of I am not sure if this is a cover version or not but played and sung by Ch. Jack DuPree:
 
symbolipoint said:
Hornbein
The version you placed in your post through editing shows labeling that partly does not match the piece of music. Singer sure does sound like Jerry L. Lewis, and the music sure does seem "Ramblin' Rose"; but the record shows a title of "I've been twisten'", instead of "Ramblin' Rose".
Not for me. Bug in the system. 2nd bug : PhysicsForums inserting spurious italics.

That Champion Jack riff is the same as What I Say by Ray Charles.
 
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Psycho_Killer (1977)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Talking_Heads


Talking Heads - Psycho Killer (Earliest Live Video, Live at CBGB's,1975)


- "Psycho Killer (1974 Demo)" The Artistics (1974, from "Tentative Decisions: Demos & Live" LP)
- https://americansongwriter.com/meaning-behind-psycho-killer-by-the-talking-heads/
- “Psycho K*ller” by Talking Heads…here’s the real story #behindthesong




(2022) Psycho Killer - Talking Heads (cover by Pacifica)

(see also #2,234 Take on Me)

(2021) Psycho Killer - Talking Heads (Bluegrass Cover) - Palmyra


(2024) If PSYCHO KILLER was Old-School Hill-Country Blues • TALKING HEADS Fingerstyle Guitar Cover - Justin Johnson


(2025) Psycho Killer - Talking Heads (metal cover) - MrGavGee


(2022) Adora - Psycho Killer (Talking Heads Cover)



Honorable mention:
- (2024) Live Psycho Killer with our band [French Fries] - band of kids
- (2009) Psycho Killer - The Ukulele Orchestra of Great Britain - BBC Proms
 
Last edited:


But they should have gotten me to do the insane laughter.
 


Nancy Wilson instantly became my favorite singer.



Written by Goffin-King.
 
NOAH is more or less The Beatles of Indonesia. They have more than enough hits for a full concert so I was surprised they did any covers. And those hits are almost all romantic ballads so I never would have dreamed they would cover Smells Like Teen Spirit. But that's what they did. It is the only time I have ever seen the singer smile -- he is a most melancholy guy -- so he clearly really enjoyed it. And I dare say this is the only time it will ever include a big string section.

 
Last edited:
Another unexpected cover : The Warning covering La Bamba. Well they are Mexican. Then joined by Billy Idol singing Twist and Shout. The mind boggles.



Hear that crowd roar.
 
Hornbein said:


But they should have gotten me to do the insane laughter.

Lucky enough to see the real thing in 1988 but I would have preferred to have seen the "Wish you were here" tour 1975, I think that was their peak. I was 8 when that was released so I don't think mum would have let me go!
Every tribute band I have seen have been awesome too, I don't think you can be in a mediocre Floyd tribute and get gigs, not in the UK anyway.
 
Hornbein said:



We expect the look but the one she gives at 44 seconds is, "you thought I was going to simplify that fast arpeggio part didn't you?"
 
pinball1970 said:
Lucky enough to see the real thing in 1988 but I would have preferred to have seen the "Wish you were here" tour 1975, I think that was their peak. I was 8 when that was released so I don't think mum would have let me go!
Every tribute band I have seen have been awesome too, I don't think you can be in a mediocre Floyd tribute and get gigs, not in the UK anyway.
I saw Pink Floyd in 1971 or 72 doing Atom Heart Mother and Meddle. Roger Waters had some trouble getting his echo unit to work on One Of These Days. I quite liked the show but what really knocked my socks off in those days was the Mahavishnu Orchestra. The opening act for that was Eagles. They were OK.
 
Hornbein said:
I saw Pink Floyd in 1971 or 72 doing Atom Heart Mother and Meddle. Roger Waters had some trouble getting his echo unit to work on One Of These Days. I quite liked the show but what really knocked my socks off in those days was the Mahavishnu Orchestra. The opening act for that was Eagles. They were OK.
Favourite album is "wish you were here" but ECHOs is my favourite track. Pompeii footage fantastic.
 
pinball1970 said:
Favourite album is "wish you were here" but ECHOs is my favourite track. Pompeii footage fantastic.
Back in 1971 Pink Floyd opened with a song entitled Embryo that made a big impression on us but somehow never made it on an album.



My friends saw the Syd Barrett Pink Floyd in a little night club in our town. It was a life-changing experience for them. The same little club hosted Jimi Hendrix and The Who. People don't know how small time rock was in 1966. That club scene is now almost completely gone in the USA. You can't make it that way any more.
 
Last edited:
 
Last edited:
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: pinball1970 and jack action