Cover songs versus the original track, which ones are better?

  • Thread starter Thread starter pinball1970
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Track
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Ask a follow-up in this thread, or start your own.
2,624 replies · 207K views
Amazing sound, to be able to recreate CSN like this is not easy.

 
Physics news on Phys.org
pinball1970 said:
The original. Graham Nash was with Joni Mitchell? TIL.


Joni started out with David Crosby, who got her her first recording contract. Next was Graham. Later she married an ebass player named Klein.
 
Orig


Cover
The best part is at the end. I usually skip over runouts, but this is a good one.
 
robphy said:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/All_Along_the_Watchtower (1967)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bob_Dylan


Bob Dylan live , All Along The Watchtower Chicago 1974


BOB DYLAN, ALL ALONG THE WATCHTOWER,GRATEFUL DEAD 12 07 87


Jimi Hendrix All Along The Watchtower Live 1970 Isle Of Wight


Uli Jon Roth All Along The Watchtower

I think this is the greatest cover ever, it was mentioned early doors.
What Hendrix did with this in the studio was genius. Live? Well it's 1970 and large system outdoors, not a great combo for that time.
His sound was ropey but he managed to tame it and his voice, which he didn't rate, is as iconic as his guitar sound.
 
Tyler Warren recreated an entire Rush album by multitracking himself. Did a great job. Voice, drums, guitars, keyboards. He's even copied Mr Lee's idiosyncratic right hand technique. Can't get that sound any other way. It's hard to believe but the proof is here.

 
pinball1970 said:
I think this is the greatest cover ever, it was mentioned early doors.
What Hendrix did with this in the studio was genius. Live? Well it's 1970 and large system outdoors, not a great combo for that time.
His sound was ropey but he managed to tame it and his voice, which he didn't rate, is as iconic as his guitar sound.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/All_Along_the_Watchtower

(italic bolding mine)
Covered by numerous artists, "All Along the Watchtower" is strongly identified with the interpretation Jimi Hendrix recorded with the Jimi Hendrix Experience for its third studio album, Electric Ladyland (1968).[3] The Hendrix version, released six months after Dylan's original recording, became a Top 20 single in 1968, received a Grammy Hall of Fame award in 2001, and was ranked 48th in Rolling Stone magazine's 500 Greatest Songs of All Time in 2004 (40th in the 2021 version). Dylan first played the song live in concert on the Bob Dylan and the Band 1974 Tour, his first tour since 1966. His live performances have been influenced by Hendrix's cover, to the extent that they have been called covers of a cover. Dylan has performed the song live more than any of his others, with over 2,250 recitals.

...

Impact of the Hendrix recording on Dylan's performances​

In 1995, Dylan described his reaction to hearing Hendrix's version: "It overwhelmed me, really. He had such talent, he could find things inside a song and vigorously develop them. He found things that other people wouldn't think of finding in there. He probably improved upon it by the spaces he was using. I took license with the song from his version, actually, and continue to do it to this day." In the booklet accompanying his 1985 Biograph album, Dylan said: "I liked Jimi Hendrix's record of this and ever since he died I've been doing it that way ... Strange how when I sing it, I always feel it's a tribute to him in some kind of way." In 1974, Dylan, with the Band, embarked on his first concert tour since his 1966 world tour. From the first show of the Bob Dylan and the Band 1974 Tour on January 3, 1974, in Chicago, the shows featured what Heylin described as a "Hendrixized" version of "All Along the Watchtower". From the first live performance, Dylan has consistently performed the song closer to Hendrix's version than to his own original recording.
 
I'm not crazy about The Rolling Stones orig, so here are two covers.

From Japan.


Cover Western style
 
pinball1970 said:
I think this is the greatest cover ever, it was mentioned early doors.
What Hendrix did with this in the studio was genius. Live? Well it's 1970 and large system outdoors, not a great combo for that time.
His sound was ropey but he managed to tame it and his voice, which he didn't rate, is as iconic as his guitar sound.
That is very humble from Bob Dylan, he wrote the song after all, it is is creation.
The "tribute to him," comment in particular was a really nice touch.
The version you posted, Isle of Wight was 30th August 1970 so he was dead a few weeks after that.
 
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Foxy_Lady (1967)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jimi_Hendrix#The_Jimi_Hendrix_Experience

The Jimi Hendrix Experience - Foxey Lady (Miami Pop 1968)



(2026) Billy F Gibbons of ZZ Top Story Tellers Foxy Lady at Arcada Theatre
song starts at &t=3m10s


(2010) Chickenfoot (Hagar, Anthony, Smith, Satriani) - "Foxy Lady" (Live in Cabo) [HD]


(1979, remastered 2015) (The Cure) Foxy Lady


(2026) The Only Bay All Stars w/Yoyoka @KRFK Times Square, NYC 7/26/26 Foxy Lady
Yoyoka drum solo &t=3m00s
 
Last edited:
Last edited:
robphy said:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/My_Way (Frank Sinatra , 1969 ; Paul Anka)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elvis_Presley

Jerome Evardome is a 20-year-old Elvis voice impersonator.
He sounds really good.
[snip]


Original audio of Elvis Presley from @elvispresley​
[snip]

Jerome Evardome (Elvis Presley Clone) Sings My Way | Live at RJ Bistro 2025


Paul Anka - My Way (The John Davidson Show, Aug 17, 1969)



Frank Sinatra - My Way | Live from The Main Event at Madison Square Garden (1974)



Elvis Presley - My Way (Aloha From Hawaii, Live in Honolulu, 1973)



Sid Vicious - My Way (Original and Complete Version)


- My Way: An Autobiography by Paul Anka
https://www.amazon.com/dp/1250044499?tag=pfamazon01-20
(pg. 211)
“My Way” was Sinatra’s way—and that was the right way. basically
the only way. Although I do like the way Sid Vicious did it. At f‌irst I
thought he was just goof‌ing on the song. He starts out making fun of
it, but then he gets into it, gets swept up in it. It's as if the song midway
reaches out and grabs him by the foot.

I really questioned whether I was going to grant the license or not.
But after I made some calls and realized his intent was sincere, I said.
yeah, I’ll let him do it. He's entitled. You know, I wasn't concerned
about the copyright. Sid went in there, took primarily a jazz band in
Paris, pulled some tubes out of the amps, and after his vision of it, and
I think Jonesie—Steve Jones from the Sex Pistols—added some stuff
later. It was believable and unique enough that when Scorsese called to
use it at the end of Goodfellas, I was all for it. It had an anger to it, a
voicing of his resentments.

Sid’s version is not as extreme as what I did later on with Rock Swings—
although in my case in reverse—taking those songs and
doing big band versions, but at that time it was shocking, when
you first heard it. It was also very prescient. Prophetic for Sid, too.
Sid Vicious’s version isn’t my favorite, and I can’t say
honestly that I would listen to it every week, but what he did
worked as both a goof and a sincere take on it, which is a pretty
amazing accomplishment in and of itself. Sid put himself into the
song, and he really did do it his way. It’s perfectly in sync with
Sid Vicious going down that staircase in the video. An incredible
visual, no doubt about that.

So when Vicious did it, I was pleased to hear that it touched
him in some way, that he wanted to make that statement, and at
the same time I was very amused by it. I was f‌lattered that a
punk like Sid wanted to do “My Way," someone who was into
music totally different from mine.
 
Frank wrote this song about the 1965 Watts riots. Eliot Ingber had just gotten out of the army so he had short hair.



Things haven't changed much. (They are copying an updated version that Frank's band played live.)



I find those guitar solos very impressive. In 1970 no one knew how to do this. Now there are thousands. It's almost normal.
 
Last edited:
robphy said:
Sid Vicious - My Way (Original and Complete Version)

Thanks, this reminds me about this one:



 
Original. Never heard this before. Dang! Why is this so unknown?!?



She's Aretha Franklin's sister.

Covering the famous Big Brother And The Holding Company version. Liliac are siblings.