Cover songs versus the original track, which ones are better?

  • Thread starter Thread starter pinball1970
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Track
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Ask a follow-up in this thread, or start your own.
2,607 replies · 201K views
We've seen this one before but this version is even better.

 
Physics news on Phys.org
Orig

Joan Baez -- Babe I'm Gonna Leave You



Miley Cyrus -- Babe I'm Gonna Leave You

 
Orig of In My Time Of Dying --Blind Willie Johnson



Cover by Lovell Sisters

 
Last edited:
from the "Music to Lift Your Soul" thread,
(2021)【 JUNNA 】負けないで(MAKENAIDE) / ZARD - Drum Cover - [ JUNNA has done many covers]


(2021) Marty Friedman - 負けないで Makenaide - Official Music Video

See also: https://blog.jacksonguitars.com/marty-friedman-shreds-alongside-fans-in-new-makenaide-video/

(2022) ZARD - 負けないで (Makenaide) guitar cover [nacoco has done many covers]
 
Last edited:
  • Like
  • Wow
Likes   Reactions: pinball1970 and Point Conception
Here are the kids [ 音太朗と音寧 - otatorock ; RoiLoiRo - twitter-RoiLoiRo ] from the Marty Friedman "Makenaide" video...

8才になった息子がイングヴェイを弾くようです [ 音太朗と音寧 ]
(Google translate: "My 8-year-old son seems to play Yngwie")

is a partial cover of Yngwie Malmsteen's "Trilogy Suite Op 5"

Mr. Crowley / Ozzy Osbourne [ 音太朗と音寧 ]

is a partial cover of Ozzy Osbourne's "Mr. Crowley" [with Randy Rhoads] - second solo at 4m00s.

小3のEXTREME/♪Decadence Dance [ 音太朗と音寧 ]

is a partial cover of Extreme's "Decadence Dance"

RedHotChiliPeppers/♪StoneColdBush [ 音太朗と音寧 ]

is the intro to Red Hot Chili Pepper's "Stone Cold Bush"

BURN / DEEP PURPLE 観衆の前で堂々と叩く9歳のキッズドラマー kids drum cover ディープパープル ドラムカバー 叩いてみた [ 村井道奏ドラマーみち ロイロイロ 2023ミュージカルスクールオブロック フレディ役 ]

is a drum cover of Deep Purple's "Burn".
 
Last edited:
Sharp Dressed Man w/ 3 guitarists

 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: pinball1970, fresh_42 and Point Conception
Roy Head and the Traits -- Treat Her Right



Billy Gibbons -- Treat Her Right

 
I'd say that Eddie does better without those other three guys cluttering it up.

His lead stuff is fun but he rules in backing guitar. And what do rock guitarists spend 90% of their time doing?

 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: robphy, pinball1970 and jack action
There are many covers of this famous dance. Hundreds?

Orig



Cover

 
Hornbein said:
I'd say that Eddie does better without those other three guys cluttering it up.

His lead stuff is fun but he rules in backing guitar. And what do rock guitarists spend 90% of their time doing?


That studio is a disgrace. Do they leave cans and stuff on the floor at home?
 
pinball1970 said:
That studio is a disgrace. Do they leave cans and stuff on the floor at home?
That is certainly not how they were raised!

28fba534dfbe1598a3--alex-van-halen-eddie-van-halen.jpg

It must be that no-good David Lee Roth's bad influence!
 
Orig by Arthur Conley



Cover by Rod Stewart

I happened to randomly walk in to a Rod Stewart concert. Most stage presence I ever saw.

 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: pinball1970 and robphy
Although off-topic for covers...
Hornbein said:
I'd say that Eddie does better without those other three guys cluttering it up.

His lead stuff is fun but he rules in backing guitar. And what do rock guitarists spend 90% of their time doing?
While Unchained is my favorite Van Halen song, I really like the guitar on I'm the One from the first album:

EVH Eddie Van Halen - Im The One *GUITAR TRACK* [guitarzforsale] (long pause at 2m50s)




And, if you are interested, here are some
demos before the first album Van Halen I (1978)​
​
​
Van Halen - Earliest Known Demos 1974 [VANHALENARCHIVE]​
​


Van Halen
Earliest Known Demos
1974

Glitter Demos
Unknown Location
1974

00:02 Glitter
02:56 Gentlemen of Leisure

Cherokee Demos
Cherokee Studios
Chatworth, CA
1974

04:29 Angel Eyes
07:16 Believe Me
10:01 In A Simple Rhyme
13:37 Take Your Whiskey Home

These are believed to be the earliest known demos
​
​
​
​
​
​
Van Halen - Complete Zero Demo - 1976 (Unreleased) [Vince S.]​
​

​
Complete Zero Demo of Van Halen in 1976 before the album Van Halen I.

Titles :

1.Intro t=0s
2.On Fire
3.Women In Love t=224s
4.House of Pain t=425s
5.Runnin' With The Devil t=642s
6.She's The Woman t=845s
7.Let's Get Rockin' t=1016s (equals song Outer Space, in ADKOT)
8.Big Trouble t=1197s
9.Somebody Get Me a Doctor t=1410s
10.Babe, Don't Leave Me Alone t=1591s
11.Put Out The Lights t=1764s
12.We Die Bold t=1982s
13.Voodoo Queen t=2167s (Mean street)
14.Little Dreamer t=2388s
15.Bring Out The Girls t=2580s (Beautiful Girls)
16.Young & Wild t=2810s
17.Last Night t=2966s (Hang em' High)
18.Light In The Sky t=3176s
19.Get The Show On The Road t=3456s
20.D.O.A t=3634s
21.Somebody Get Me A Doctor t=3875s
22.Show Your Love t=4115s (I'm the One)
23.I Wanna Be Your Lover t=4365s
24.Feel Your Love Tonight t=4548s
25.In A Simple Rhyme t=4785s
26.Piece Of Mind t=5068s
27.You Really Got Me t=5305s
28.Happy Trails t=5475s
29.Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love t=5560s
​
​
 
robphy said:
Although off-topic for covers...
While Unchained is my favorite Van Halen song, I really like the guitar on I'm the One from the first album:

EVH Eddie Van Halen - Im The One *GUITAR TRACK* [guitarzforsale] (long pause at 2m50s)




And, if you are interested, here are some​
demos before the first album Van Halen I (1978)​
​
​
​
​
​
​
​

Damn that is amazing.

Gene Simmons tried to get his management to sign Van Halen off of that demo but no dice.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: pinball1970 and robphy
robphy said:
While Unchained is my favorite Van Halen song, I really like the guitar on I'm the One from the first album:

EVH Eddie Van Halen - Im The One *GUITAR TRACK* [guitarzforsale] (long pause at 2m50s)

Here's a video from 2013 where you can see Eddie play
Van Halen - I'm The One | Tattoo (Live) [ APlace in Time ]



Here are three good covers of Van Halen's "I'm the One" showing the guitar playing

R.I.P.I'm the one/VAN HALEN [ SATSUMA3042 does lots of guitar covers, from a restaurant! ]



VAN HALEN - I'm The One // New OWNHAMMER IRs [ Rocco Pezzin does lots of covers, including RacerX/PaulGilbert ] start at t=24s



Here's a very energetic cover, with feeling:
Jacob Deraps I'm the One Live Montreal Jazz Fest [ Deraps ]

See also his video:
Van Halen I'm the One Cover [ Deraps when he was 16]
 
Last edited:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Immigrant_Song
(from watching some reaction videos...
it's sad but amusing that some "react-ors" recognize this primarily as a song associated Shrek or Thor )

(1972) Led Zeppelin - Immigrant Song (Live 1972) (Official Video)

Led Zeppelin - Immigrant Song - Rehearsal/Practice Tape WOW! [ Fender Man ]



(2022) [Brass Against] Immigrant Song | @ledzeppelin cover | ft. Cunio



(2023) Immigrant Song - Led Zeppelin | Full Cover/Improv - Sean Mann



(2020) Immigrant Song Cover in Old Norse 700 A.D - 1500 A.D (Bardcore or Skäldcore?) Medieval style



(2010) [Hisaki Tube] 王様ライヴ Crossroads ~ Immigrant Song (starts at 9m48s )



(2020) [maromaro1337] Led Zeppelin - Immigrant Song (Stylophone cover)



​

 
Last edited:
Deantown

Orig



Cover by Dea Matrona's Orláith Forsythe



Based on Weather Report/Jaco's Teen Town

 
  • Love
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: difalcojr and pinball1970
Hornbein said:
Deantown

Orig



Cover by Dea Matrona's Orláith Forsythe



Based on Weather Report/Jaco's Teen Town


Not heard "Teen Town" for years. Jaco, what a musician.
 
pinball1970 said:
Not heard "Teen Town" for years. Jaco, what a musician.
The last giant of jazz. So far anyway.

You haven't lived until you've heard Senri Kawaguchi play Teen Town.