Cover songs versus the original track, which ones are better?

  • Thread starter Thread starter pinball1970
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Track
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Ask a follow-up in this thread, or start your own.
2,607 replies · 201K views
This is attention to detail. Love of the music.

 
Physics news on Phys.org
Ok last one for these guys. They cover Steely Dan. Steely Dan are insane. Ronald Fagen specifically is insane. His chord progressions should not have melodies that work but they do. They are better than "work" they are genius and unique.
This bunch of kids know what they are doing I think. They describe the set up for recording.

 
OK, enough is enough:



"Squeal like a Piggy!" (Bonus points to anyone who gets the joke)
 
  • Haha
  • Love
Likes   Reactions: DennisN and pinball1970
Ok last one for these guys. They cover Steely Dan. Steely Dan are insane. Ronald Fagin
Vanadium 50 said:
OK, enough is enough:



"Squeal like a Piggy!" (Bonus points to anyone who gets the joke)

That film was very disturbing to me. Very.

There is enough beautiful music out there and kids are basking in that glory and want to at least try their best to replicate it.

Happy holidays V50.
 
pinball1970 said:
hat film was very disturbing to me. Very.
But that's not the joke.
 
Vanadium 50 said:
But that's not the joke.
Mm. Ok, well dueling tubas does not quite hit the spot for me and I cannot find the joke.
You have will have to tell me.
 
DennisN said:
Laura Branigan - Gloria

Ok, here's another cover I heard for the first time a couple of days ago... by Laura Branigan again.
And on this one... well, what can I say? She takes the vocals to a whole different level... :))
The vocals are so powerful I have to say I like the cover more than the original :smile:.
Gosh, this girl could sing!

Cover: Laura Branigan - The Power of Love



The original was performed by Jennifer Rush, and it's a song I very much remember from the 1980s.
I wasn't a die-hard fan of it, but I thought it was a good song (actually there are comparatively very few ballads from the 1980s I like, but I post a link to one exception below (*)).

Original: Jennifer Rush - The Power Of Love (Official Video)



* One BIG exception is "Don't Give Up" (with Peter Gabriel and Kate Bush) which simply is a phenomenal song, in my opinon ❤️).
 
Vanadium 50 said:
"Squeal like a Piggy!" (Bonus points to anyone who gets the joke)
Hmm,... those tuba players are doing to the original song what the rednecks did to Ned Beatty in the film?
 
  • Haha
Likes   Reactions: DennisN, Astronuc and pinball1970
Just now, I became aware of Diana Ankudinova (incredible range of pitch):

Cover of "Wicked Game":


Cover of one of the main Dune themes:
 
strangerep said:
those tuba players are doing to the original song what the rednecks did to Ned Beatty in the film?
<sigh>

A "piggy" is a style of tuba. The intent is that it sounds like a big tuba, but takes up less space: tubas are not piccolos, and sometimes available space (e.g. in an orchestra pit) is at a premium.
 
  • Like
  • Informative
Likes   Reactions: Astronuc and pinball1970
Oh, and if we are talking about covers of Jump.

 
Vanadium 50 said:
Oh, and if we are talking about covers of Jump.


Technically this is a mash up not a cover. @Hornbein likes these.
 
Vanadium 50 said:
A "piggy" is a style of tuba. The intent is that it sounds like a big tuba, but takes up less space: tubas are not piccolos, and sometimes available space (e.g. in an orchestra pit) is at a premium.
Given the film and given your sense of humour, I think this link is a win.
 
pinball1970 said:
Technically this is a mash up
I disagree. Different musicians playing a different arrangement of the same song is a cover. Granted, there are differences in styles. But one could say that about Aretha Franklin's Respect (yes, that's a cover), Ike and Tina Turner's Proud Mary, or Cowboy Junkies Sweet Jane.

If you want an example where things are more ambiguous, there is Carole King.James Taylor's You've Got A Friend. Recorded by the same musicians at the same session (and possibly even the same take), released a week apart with two different vocal tracks. Who covered whom? Or who mashednup whom?
 
Vanadium 50 said:
disagree. Different musicians playing a different arrangement of the same song is a cover
No. They stick two tracks together, C'mon everybody and Jump.
 
Vanadium 50 said:
If you want an example where things are more ambiguous, there is Carole King.James Taylor's You've Got A Friend
There will be greyer areas.

What is a cover? A cover is a version where the original song is recorded, released and then copied at a later date.The original song may or may not be recorded by the artist who wrote it, all points of discussion.

A mash up is splicing different songs together.
 
  • Informative
Likes   Reactions: symbolipoint
So I would argue that Big Daddy's Jump is a cover. They took the sheet music, made an arrangement in another style, and then recorded it. Seems pretty cut and dried.

There is also a difference between a "quote" and a :mash up". For decades, probably centuries, composers have used a bar or two of one piece in another. As in the 1812 Overture.

As far as You've Got A Friend, the case can be made that either recording was the "original".
 
Vanadium 50 said:
So I would argue that Big Daddy's Jump is a cover. They took the sheet music, made an arrangement in another style, and then recorded it. Seems pretty cut and dried.

There is also a difference between a "quote" and a :mash up". For decades, probably centuries, composers have used a bar or two of one piece in another. As in the 1812 Overture.

As far as You've Got A Friend, the case can be made that either recording was the "original".
No. Covering a song and amalgamation of two songs or more is different.

Perhaps you want to put things into sets? The song, the cover of the song and amalgamations of the songs. Where is @fresh_42 when you need him?

Sounds like a thread?
 
Vanadium 50 said:
There is also a difference between a "quote" and a :mash up". For decades, probably centuries, composers have used a bar or two of one piece in another. As in the 1812 Overture.
Wow. I REALLY think you know what this thread is supposed to be about.
Can I suggest you just don't do that? You did the same with the Tolkien thread

It doesn't matter, music will not change. Perhaps posters will give a few insights.
Interaction with smart posters.
 
pinball1970 said:
Can I suggest you just don't do that?
"It's my thread. I decide who can participate and what they are allowed to say. Go away." Got it.
 
Vanadium 50 said:
"It's my thread. I decide who can participate and what they are allowed to say. Go away." Got it.
Post what you want and it will not be interrupted by my unnecessary pedantry.

Mongolian throat singing cover of YMCA or Slayers raining blood, the Las Vegas years, will all be welcome.
 
One of the best songs from what I thought was a horrible period in pop music.

Russians.

It's in Cm so sting is hitting tenor As and Bb (A4)




Then he sang it in Russia and dropped a tone.



Then he dropped a few more to F#m, still powerful and the cello suits it.

 
Last edited:
A Russian covering "Full house" by Kate Bush.

 
Nirvana y Aixa ( https://www.youtube.com/@radionubeoficial - https://www.youtube.com/@radionubeoficial/shorts )


Young siblings rock out on drums and guitar - aged ten and eight | SWNS

Meet the siblings who rock out on the drums and guitar - at the ages of ten and eight.​
Nirvana Sota and her younger sister Aixa Sota have already performed at live shows and can cover famous hits like 'Enter Sandman' by Metallica or 'Creep' by Radiohead.​
Nirvana plays the guitar and Aixa the drums while dad Jussef Sota ,43, and mum Ilusión Sota, 42, play bass and piano respectively.​
The sisters have been playing since they were two years old and the family formed a band called Radio Nube two years ago.​
The family from Hermosillo, México....​




Nirvana y Aixa TOP TEN 2023


Nirvana y Aixa tocan The Trooper de IRON MAIDEN


Aixa y Nirvana tocan La Grange [by ZZ Top]


Nirvana y Aixa tocan Tom Sawyer de RUSH


Nirvana toca Ballerina 12/24 de STEVE VAI @SteveVaiHimself
 
Last edited:
I just noticed this cover of Gollum's Song (from The Two Towers) by Alina Gingertail.



Questions: what is the 1st instrument that appears? It seems to be played with a bow and levers.

Also, what is the small compact wind instrument that appears later?
 
Last edited:
pinball1970 said:
A mash up is splicing different songs together.

(another) case in point: