1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Crate being pulled with and without friction

1. Oct 14, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A 51.0 kg crate, starting from rest, is pulled across a floor with a constant horizontal force of 250 N. For the first 10.0 m the floor is frictionless, and for the next 10.0 m the coefficient of friction is 0.20.

What is the final speed of the crate after being pulled these 20.0 m?

3. The attempt at a solution
    I'm just really not sure what to do or where to start on this problem. please help.thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 15, 2008 #2
    I'm not to sure about this but I think you can divide it into two parts first. Find the Vf of the first 10.0 m then use that as the Vi for the other 10.0 m with friction and find the Vf again. That should give you the answer I believe.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2008
  4. Oct 15, 2008 #3
    Use newton's 2nd law and vector summation to find the acceleration of the crate for both parts. For the first part the net force is just 250n, and for the second part it is 250n - Friction. Then use kinematics.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?