What Are the Final Speeds of a Material Point and a Wedge Without Friction?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 2K views
Karozo
Messages
4
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



I think that the image is clear.
There isn't friction, not the material point with wedge, not the wedge with the floor.

At time t=0 the material point start to move, I need to find the final speed of the two objects at time [itex]t\rightarrow\infty[/itex].

Homework Equations



I have used conservation of energy and momentum.

The Attempt at a Solution



So I have two equation:
[itex]\frac{1}{2}m{v_m}^2+\frac{1}{2}M{v_M}^2 = mgR[/itex]

[itex]m{v_m}+M{v_M}=0[/itex]

And the solution is [itex]{v_m}=\sqrt{\frac{mgR}{\frac{1}{2}m+\frac{1}{2}\frac{m^2}{M}}}[/itex]

Am I wrong?
 
Attachments
  • Problem_1-7-2014.png
    Problem_1-7-2014.png
    1.1 KB · Views: 512
Physics news on Phys.org
It can be simplified, but it looks okay. What about the velocity of the other object?
 
Well, if [itex]V_m[/itex] is right is very simple to find [itex]V_M[/itex], so I haven't written it.
 
I have also a similar problem, you can see the image.

In this the mass m, start with an initial speed [itex]v_0[/itex], you have to find [itex]v_0[/itex] so that the material point has maximum height R.

I think that is right to use the two equations:

[itex]\frac{1}{2}m{v_m}^2+\frac{1}{2}M{v_M}^2+mgR=\frac{1}{2}m{v_0}^2[/itex] energy

[itex]m{v_m}+M{v_M}=mv_0[/itex] momentum

for the point of maximum height, and then you have [itex]{v_m}={v_M}[/itex] , because the two bodies are in contact.
 
Attachments
  • Problem-2-7-2014.png
    Problem-2-7-2014.png
    1.1 KB · Views: 460
Karozo said:
I have also a similar problem, you can see the image.
Next time, you should put a new problem in a new thread.

In this the mass m, start with an initial speed [itex]v_0[/itex], you have to find [itex]v_0[/itex] so that the material point has maximum height R.

I think that is right to use the two equations:

[itex]\frac{1}{2}m{v_m}^2+\frac{1}{2}M{v_M}^2+mgR=\frac{1}{2}m{v_0}^2[/itex] energy

[itex]m{v_m}+M{v_M}=mv_0[/itex] momentum

for the point of maximum height, and then you have [itex]{v_m}={v_M}[/itex] , because the two bodies are in contact.
That appears correct.