1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Create a car to pick up a ballon, travel a distance, and pop it

1. Sep 10, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    We need to create a vehicle that will travel 6 feet, pick up a ballon, bring it back to the start, and then pop the balloon.
    For power we need to use mousetraps. We cannot modify the balloon, only the car.

3. The attempt at a solution
    We have thought of using a string to wind up the second mouse trap and than having it release to go back. We are unsure of what to do otherwise.
    Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 10, 2014 #2

BiGyElLoWhAt

Gold Member

6 feet is a good distance, do you think 1 mouse trap on either side will provide sufficient power?

4. Sep 10, 2014 #3

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

Depending on the weight of the car, I think two mousetraps should be plenty to get it 6ft and back. You just have to figure out a way to convert the energy in the spring into rotational energy. Another big problem is how do you get it to stop once it gets to the balloon?

5. Sep 10, 2014 #4

BiGyElLoWhAt

Gold Member

Into rotational energy? The mouse trap pretty much does that by itself. Did you mean translational kinetic energy?

6. Sep 10, 2014 #5

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

Well, I meant rotation of the wheels

7. Sep 10, 2014 #6

BiGyElLoWhAt

Gold Member

Ahh my bad.

8. Sep 10, 2014 #7

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

jet55 you really need to thrown out some idea of your own, otherwise it just looks like you are asking us to do it for you.

9. Sep 10, 2014 #8

BiGyElLoWhAt

Gold Member

Word yo

10. Sep 10, 2014 #9

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

I have no idea what "word yo" means. Please speak English.

11. Sep 10, 2014 #10

BiGyElLoWhAt

Gold Member

haha. It's how you concur in ebonics. So technically it is almost english =P

12. Sep 10, 2014 #11

BiGyElLoWhAt

Gold Member

And that equals sign capital p is a computer generated person sticking his tongue out. (Just giving you a hard time phinds) =]

13. Sep 10, 2014 #12

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

I don't mind the hard time, just do it in English.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted