1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Create an injection from {a^2+b^2

1. Oct 1, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Is it possible to create an injection from {a^2+b^2 l a,b[itex]\in[/itex]Q} to {{a+b l a,b[itex]\in[/itex]Q}

2. Relevant equations
    I am not sure about this. The problem is that many combinations of a,b can yield the same number, so how do I tackle this obstacle?

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 1, 2013 #2

UltrafastPED

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Consider the definition of injection.

4. Oct 1, 2013 #3
    the definition says:

x1≠x2 => f(x1)≠f(x2)

But the problem is as said that many combinations give rise to the same numbers in the set.

5. Oct 1, 2013 #4

UltrafastPED

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Then perhaps it is not possible!

6. Oct 1, 2013 #5
    it certainly should be, since the two sets have same cardinality. I just need help with coming up with a well defined function that does it. Problem is you can't really say something like f(a^2+b^2)=lal+lbl because of the earlier stated.

7. Oct 1, 2013 #6
    Is this necessarily true?

How about x → x?

8. Oct 1, 2013 #7

jbunniii

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

It might simplify the problem somewhat to observe that ##\{a+b \, | \, a,b\in \mathbb{Q}\}## is simply ##\mathbb{Q}##.

9. Oct 1, 2013 #8
    I've just looked at a couple of your other posts like this one where again you seem to be confused about what you mean by {a^2+b^2 l a,b∈Q}. Can you see that all elements of this set are in ## \mathbb{Q} ##, and that a and b are only relevant in selecting which elements of ## \mathbb{Q} ## are elements of this set? You can't then define a function f(a,b) and expect it to have any meaning in relation to this set without defining how you get the unique pair (a,b) from ## x \in \mathbb{Q} ##.

Before you try to think about jections (I hate that word) you need to think more clearly about the membership of sets and the domain, co-domain and range of relations between them.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2013
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted