Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Create High frequency High voltage signal

1. Aug 27, 2014 #1
    Hi all,

For my research I would like to create a high frequency high voltage signal. This signal should be in the order of 1kV-5kV with a frequency of around 10MHz. Can anyone help me with this? I'm not an electronic expert. I only have to apply the electric field, please note that I do not need to draw any current.

The OPAMP's I came across don't really amplify higher than 200V at maximum. Is it possible to create this signal by using transformers?

Thanks for the help!

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 27, 2014 #2

davenn

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

if you are not too good at electronics then I suggest for your safety you work on a project with much lower voltage.

Dave

4. Aug 27, 2014 #3

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Welcome to the PF.

As stated, this is dangerous for a newbie to attempt. What department are you in at your university? What resources are available to you? What are you wanting to use this for? You can use a much lower voltage if you just want an electric field to fill a small volume. The units of electric field are Volts / meter, so you get the same E field with half the voltage across half the distance, and so on.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook