1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Creating a berm with a 1:1 slope

1. Aug 11, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

324,000 cubic feet of soil is to be placed in a rectangular area (constructed from hay bales) of 80 feet x 100 feet. Using a slope of 1:1 for the fill soil, how many bales high must the walls be stacked to accommodate the soil?
    Assume the hay bales have a height of 18"

2. Relevant equations
    A = L x W
    V = A x h

Volume of a pyramid...? 1/3(L x W x h) = V

3. The attempt at a solution

I started by calculating the required height (assuming the soil was filled without a slope):

324,000 cu ft = 8000ft x h
    h = 40.5 ft

I know from here I would simply divide the total height (h) by the height of a hay bale (18"), to get the number of bails. However, I am thinking that my calculated height is too much, since the soil will be slopped (1:1 slop) and extend above the walls. My question is, how do I figure out how high the soil can be slopped above the walls? and what the volume of soil extending above the walls would be. I was thinking this may have something to do with calculating the volume of a pyramid... but I'm a bit confused as to how to proceed. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2011
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 11, 2011 #2

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

The problem says 32,400 cu ft.

4. Aug 11, 2011 #3
    That was a typo. Thanks for pointing it out. I have corrected it in my original post.

5. Aug 11, 2011 #4

Mark44

Do you have an idea of how the berm will look, with its sloped (not slopped) sides?

6. Aug 11, 2011 #5
    When sloped, it should resemble a pyramid.

7. Aug 11, 2011 #6

Mark44

OK.
    The problem would be a bit easier if the base happened to be square, rather than rectangular.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook