Making a flexible cylinder with 0.01mm holes that won't squeeze shut

  • Level: Undergrad 
  • Thread starter Thread starter physior
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Cylinder
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 2K views
physior
Messages
182
Reaction score
1
hello

I need to create a structure that is a let's say 10cm diameter cylinder and 20cm height.

Inside the cylinder there will be numberous 0.01mm holes that will go through the length of the cylinder, so basically, there will be numerous tiny cylinders with 0.01mm hole that run across the 20cm height of the large cylinder.

So far so good, but I want it to be flexible, ie to bend, but I don't want the holes to be squeezed! I don't want the holes to be less than 0.01mm!

is this possible?

what material or technology can do that?

thanks!
 
Physics news on Phys.org
How much do you need it to flex?
Does flexibility need to be elastic (return to original shape when not stressed)?
How many 0.01mm holes do you need?
At what temperature will this be operating?
 
it can flex a bit, like 30%, not much

it doesn't have to be elastic

the holes will be as many as possible to fill all the cross sectional area

temperatures around 1000 C

becarefull: the holes must not diminish in diameter, they must not be squeezed or shrinked
 
With flexibility, you're ruing out ceramics.
With 1000 C, I think you're ruling out anything that's carbone-based (plastics etc).
You're left with metals.
With my current knowledge, I doubt such fine details can be had on a such a scale (0.01 mm X 100 mm tunnel within a metal?).
I'll be curious if you find anything.