Creating a Solar USB Charger: Troubleshooting Tips

In summary, the conversation is about creating a solar USB charger using rechargeable batteries and a solar panel. The person is having trouble getting their phone to charge properly and is looking for a solution to increase the amperage from the charger. They also mention comparing their setup to a wall charger that outputs 5v at 2 amp.
Tesladude
So I want to make a solar usb charger but am having some problems that i do not understand.
I know that usb is 5v at 1 amp-ish and so I took 4 rechargable AAs and was getting just over 5v.
I want to have the solar pannel charge the batteries when there is nothing being pluged into the usb output and the batteries to mainly charge the phone or what ever is plugged into it. or when there is no real light to give 5v.

so I put the 5v power from my AAs on a usb female end, then plugged my phone into it and nothing really happened, my phone said chargeing but didn't go up in percent at all. I was reading about 40ma btw. anyone know what's wrong?

Engineering news on Phys.org
I put 9v of AAs on a 5 volt regulator and my phone was charging but at like 1% increase every 20minutes. there was about 20ma running from the regulator output to the phone, how can I increase the amps, or can I?
I have a wall charger that puts out 5v at 2 amp, how can it do that when it is experiencing the same resistance as my regulator?

1. How long does it take to charge a device with a solar USB charger?

The charging time varies depending on the size and efficiency of the solar panel, as well as the device's battery capacity. On average, it can take anywhere from 4-10 hours to fully charge a device with a solar USB charger.

2. Why is my solar USB charger not charging my device?

There could be a few reasons for this. First, make sure the solar panel is in direct sunlight and not shaded by any objects. If it is still not charging, check the USB cable and connections for any damage. It's also possible that the device's battery is already fully charged or that the solar panel is not producing enough energy to charge the device.

3. How do I know if my solar USB charger is working?

You can test if your solar USB charger is working by plugging it into a device and placing it in direct sunlight. If the device's battery level starts to increase, then the solar charger is working properly. You can also use a voltmeter to measure the voltage output of the solar panel to ensure it is producing energy.

4. Can I use a solar USB charger in cloudy weather?

While solar chargers work best in direct sunlight, they can still function in cloudy or overcast weather. The charging time may be longer, and the efficiency may be reduced, but it is still possible to charge a device with a solar USB charger in cloudy weather.

5. How can I maintain and prolong the lifespan of my solar USB charger?

To maintain your solar USB charger, make sure to keep the solar panel clean and free of any debris or dust that may block sunlight. Avoid exposing the charger to extreme temperatures or moisture. It's also important to properly store the charger when not in use. With proper care, a solar USB charger can last for several years.