Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I Creating a way to protect a peep inside a vacuum chamber for a demonstration

1. Dec 30, 2016 #1
    We have all seen the marshmallow peep inside a vacuum chamber grow and them shrink. I want to convey the importance of Space suits and protecting the human body by creating a sort of "space suit" for a peep to wear or get placed inside of while in a vacuum chamber, so it is protected from the growing process.
    My first idea is to place the peep inside a small air tight container, maybe one with a latch, to prevent the air from escaping. Yet, since I do not have a vacuum chamber to test this theory out, I am unsure if this would actually work, or if the vacuum would be ale to suck all of this air out also.
    If you have any other ideas, please let me know because I am stumped.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 31, 2016 #2

davenn

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

hi,
    welcome to PF :smile:

what is a peep ?

4. Dec 31, 2016 #3

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

5. Dec 31, 2016 #4

tech99

Gold Member

6. Dec 31, 2016 #5

jbriggs444

Science Advisor

Under what circumstances will a vacuum chamber be under internal pressure?

7. Dec 31, 2016 #6

tech99

Gold Member

Not the vacuum chamber but the space suit or housing containing the peep. It will be at atmospheric pressure inside and will have near zero pressure on its outside.

8. Dec 31, 2016 #7

Nidum

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Small screw top jar . Large jam jar . Long piece of polythene drain pipe . Piston and puller . Tape .

Last edited: Dec 31, 2016
  9. Dec 31, 2016 #8

Nugatory

Staff: Mentor

You just need an airtight container strong enough to hold one atmosphere. That's pretty easy.

10. Dec 31, 2016 #9

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

I assume you aree using a bell jar? A small bell jar in the larger one will do the trick.

11. Dec 31, 2016 #10

tech99

Gold Member

Usually a bell jar is designed to resist pressure on the outside, not the inside. The base is often sealed using greased flange resting on a glass plate. With positive pressure inside the jar, this seal would be forced apart. Also, if the jar broke and caused an accident, someone is going to be liable.

12. Jan 2, 2017 #11
    The STEM program will be purchasing a vacuum chamber to run this experiment to show youth and get them interested in STEM fields. I was trying to find the best way and equipment to use. It has to be see-through, so I was considering either a bell jar or an acrylic outside chamber. For the "space suit" a glass jar, but was afraid it the "space suit" might break. Thanks for the replys

This was an issue I was concerned with, I am looking into maybe using an acrylic vacuum chamber rather than a glass one.

I was thinking about just using one of those glass canning jars, or would it be safer to use some sort of acrylic or strong plastic jars?

In theory, should this idea work?

13. Jan 2, 2017 #12
    I think a home-brew bottle would work (if you can fit the peep through the neck). They can hold some pressure for carbonation. Mason jars aren't intended to hold positive pressure.

14. Jan 3, 2017 #13

Drakkith

Staff: Mentor

Shove a couple of peeps inside a plastic soda bottle and put a small hole in the lid to let the air out?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted