Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Creationist bill passed by Louisiana House of Representatives

1. Jun 13, 2008 #1
    This is bad news.

I predict that we will be seeing more of these as time goes by.
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 13, 2008 #2
    Finally some equality in the curriculum.
  4. Jun 13, 2008 #3
    Actually, this bill promotes inequality in the curriculum by exposing students to anti-scientific ideas that has not passed the rigor of scientific analysis in the slightest (creationism) and pretending that they are equal to ideas that have passed the rigor of scientific analysis with flying colors (evolution).

Creationism is just as much of alternative to the fact of evolution as Holocaust revisionism is to the fact of history.
  5. Jun 13, 2008 #4

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

Sure, it's always wise to balance science with crackpottery. :rolleyes:
  6. Jun 13, 2008 #5
    If creationism can't be taught then why should the big bang be allowed?
  7. Jun 13, 2008 #6
    If that is your take one it then thats fine. However, I disagree even though I am probably the only person in this forum to do so.
  8. Jun 13, 2008 #7
    Wait wait wait. So the Big Bang HAS passed all of these "tests"..
  9. Jun 13, 2008 #8

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Big Bang??? That's a non-sequitur. Big Bang Theory <> Theory of Evolution.

If religion insists on inserting itself into science, we should get equal time. I should be allowed to teach Sunday school (btw, I'm an atheist).
  10. Jun 13, 2008 #9
    I think that a soon as science starts to solve problems that it can't then a debate arises. I pose this question to everyone: What happens with the CERN program if NO new information is found after full operation of the LHC? Is it a dead end? Or, is there a cover made up for why nothing was found?
  11. Jun 13, 2008 #10

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The former is NOT SCIENCE, the latter IS. In a SCIENCE class you teach SCIENCE. End of discussion.
  12. Jun 13, 2008 #11
    Does this mean somebody finally can teach the students what's really true instead of that science nonsense? I mean obviously true stuff like my own theory of the 256-dimensional fairies and the invisible flying juju in the skies.

Excellent question, maybe because christian creationism is based on the bible, which also states that the earth is 6000 years old and was created in 6 days, and is also in the middle of the universe. The Big Bang theory doesn't say anything about the origins of the universe, only how it evolves from a very early stage. And it also doesn't have a pro Human/Earth bias.
  13. Jun 13, 2008 #12
    It does ?
    What version?
    I have several and I must have missed that tid bit of fact in all of them.
  14. Jun 13, 2008 #13
    Almost agree, that is if science is about falsifiability. The creation "hypothesis" can be considered falsified. But is the big bang falsifiable?
  15. Jun 13, 2008 #14
  16. Jun 13, 2008 #15
    If red shift was observed not to occur, or if the ultra specific predictions concerning the cosmic background radiation was not confirmed, it would be pretty hard to advocate the big bang.
  17. Jun 13, 2008 #16
    It can be calculated from Old and New Testament genealogies. Luke traces the genealogy of Jesus back to Adam. Naturally, this data is inconsistent with every dating method that exists.
  18. Jun 13, 2008 #17
    ask a young earth creationist for the details.
  19. Jun 13, 2008 #18
    LHC finding nothing that can advance scientific understanding is impossible by definition, since even a failure is information that can be used to advance our evidence-based models to a higher degree of accuracy.
  20. Jun 13, 2008 #19

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

At different stages of its development, the theory was falsifiable by different kinds of experiments. With more and more agreement and/or refinements, tests of falsifiability become harder and harder to perform, but are not, in theory, impossible. For instance, the "Big Bang" would have been falsified by observing chemical abundances much different from what we have. But at the same time, there are modifications that the theory is undergoing that refines details about the early universe, and these modifications have come about precisely because earlier explanations of these details have been falsified.
    Last edited: Jun 13, 2008
  21. Jun 13, 2008 #20

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

It's not wether evolution/big bang/climate change is or isn't taught that matters.
    (None of these were covered in science when I was at school - it was just learn the periodic table and newtons laws.)
    What is important is teaching kids the idea behind scientific method rather than "because god said so"as the answer to everything.

Otherwise where do you stop? If kids can answer 'it's God's will' to every school science question, can they write that in their degree, when they are in medical school, when they are signing off on a new aircraft design?
    Last edited: Jun 13, 2008
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?