1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Cristaline structure: simple solid state physics problem

1. Mar 9, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

The atomic mass of Niquel is 58.7 amu (atomic mass unit), and it's density (at 90ºC) is 8.86 g/cm³.

(a) Find the distance from one atom to the closest one from him.

2. Relevant equations

1 amu = 1.66053*19⁻²⁷

3. The attempt at a solution

I started by finding the number of atoms per cm³, N:

[itex]N = \frac{8.86*10^{24}}{1.66053} = 5.3356*10^{24} atoms/cm^{3}[/itex]

This is where I lose myself. Am I supposed to solve this without knowing the type of unit cell? If I knew it, since I know the number of atoms per cell, I would be able to get the length of the side of the unit cell, and from there I could work out the distance between two atoms next to each other.

Is there a way to solve this without knowing the unit cell before hand? Or am I supposed to solve it by searching the correct unit cell and following the line of thought I wrote?
    Thanks ahead.
    D.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 10, 2014 #2

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You can browse for "Crystal structure of Nickel" or see the Periodic Table http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Periodic_table_(crystal_structure)

When calculating the number of atoms in 1 cm3, you have to consider the atomic mass of Nickel. Your result is wrong.

ehild

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted