Critical damping provides the quickest approach to zero amplitude

In summary, critical damping is the fastest way for a damped oscillator to reach zero amplitude. Underdamping causes the oscillator to approach zero displacement faster, but it will oscillate around it. On the other hand, overdamping results in a slower approach to zero. In physical systems, the amplitudes eventually reach zero for all types of damping, but theoretically they only approach zero due to steady state errors. For an unforced underdamped oscillation, there will be no steady state errors and it will reach zero in both physical and theoretical systems.
linyen416
Critical damping provides the quickest approach to zero amplitude for a damped oscillator. With less damping (underdamping) it approaches zero displacement faster, but oscillates around it. With more damping (overdamping), the approach to zero is slower.

I got this from hyperphysics
but I am not sure aout the last sentence
with more damping shouldn't the approach to zero be even faster

Physics news on Phys.org

No, why should it?

cyrus, i thought damping brings it down to zero faster.

also another thing that's troubling me is : for underdamping, overdamping, adn critical damping, do the amplitudes eventually REACH zero IN THEORY or is it that theoretically they only APPROACH zero? thanks

Well, I would rethink how you came to that conclusion. No where in what you copied from hyperphysics did it says 'damping brings it down to zero faster'.

No, they actually reach zero in physical systems if the system is unforced (meaning there is no energy being supplied). I.e. I give it an intial energy and watch it decay back down to zero - a transient.

If energy is supplied via forcing, its a totally different story. The exact why and how of that is beyond the scope of this thread. For now, just know that if there is an energy input, steady state errors can and do occur in the system. Meaning it won't decay back down exactly to zero -not in theory or in real life.

Last edited:

So for an unforced underdamped oscillation, due to steady state errors that occur in real life, won't decay to zero?

linyen416 said:
So for an unforced underdamped oscillation, due to steady state errors that occur in real life, won't decay to zero?

No, re-read what I wrote. I never said any of that. I gave you two clear examples (a) unforced and (b) forced. I have no idea why you took my answer for (a) and applied it to (b)...you need to pay closer attention to what you're reading (both my post and hyperphysics) because you are reading into things that are not being said.

Take a step back and read things for what they are.

cyrus, i was asking abotu unforced underdamped oscillation... so in actual physical systems they do reach zero and but theoretically they dont

wouldn't there be steady state errors in underdamped oscillation that is unforced?

linyen416 said:
cyrus, i was asking abotu unforced underdamped oscillation... so in actual physical systems they do reach zero and but theoretically they dont

...I never said that.

Maybe you are not familiar with the term "physical systems" - that means a real system. Its physical.

linyen416 said:
wouldn't there be steady state errors in underdamped oscillation that is unforced?

No, there is no energy being supplied to keep it at a nonzero value. So how could it?

theoretically it never reaches zero because of the exponential nature of decay, right?

linyen416 said:
theoretically it never reaches zero because of the exponential nature of decay, right?

Yes, that's correct-good observation. :smile:

1. What is critical damping?

Critical damping is a type of damping in a system where the damping force is equal to the critical damping coefficient, resulting in the quickest approach to zero amplitude in the system.

2. How does critical damping affect a system?

Critical damping helps a system to return to its equilibrium position without any oscillation or overshooting. It provides a smooth and stable response to external forces.

3. Why is critical damping important?

Critical damping is important because it helps to prevent damage and instability in a system. It also allows for a more controlled and precise response to external forces.

4. How is critical damping calculated?

The critical damping coefficient can be calculated by taking the square root of the product of the mass and the stiffness of the system. It can also be calculated by finding the ratio of the actual damping coefficient to the critical damping coefficient.

5. What are some real-life examples of critical damping?

Some real-life examples of critical damping can be found in car shocks, building dampers, and shock absorbers in bridges. It is also commonly used in engineering and mechanical systems to provide stability and control.