1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Critical points and min and max

1. Jul 18, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Hi I'm suppose to find the critical point and minimun or maximum of f(x)=(4/5)
    2. Relevant equations

I have a question regarding how to interprete the results

3. The attempt at a solution

1) we start by finding f'(x)=4/(5*x^1/5)

Now my first question is this: we cannot divide by 0, so i it correct to assume that f'(x) must be undefined at x=0?

Usually we set f'(x)= 0 to find the x value, and that value is the critical point.
    4/(5*x^1/5) = 0 but the only result i can get is 4=0 if i solve this equation which is surely not true.

What is the correct way to interprete or argue about this result?

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 18, 2015 #2

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

What is the actual definition of critical point that your book/notes uses? I have seen slightly different definitions in different sources, so the question is not empty or silly.

Also: be careful about the connection between derivatives and maxima or minima; setting a derivative to 0 is not necessarily correct when you have constraints, such as bounds on the variables.

4. Jul 18, 2015 #3

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Your original function is [itex]f(x)= x^{4/5}[/itex] (you seem to have forgotten the "x") so the derivative is [itex]f'(x)= (4/5)x^{-1/5}= \frac{4}{5x^{1/5}}[/itex].

A max or min for a function will be at a point where the derivative is 0 or does not exist. Yes, here the derivative does not exist at x= 0. There is no place where the derivative is equal to 0. Here it is easy to see that f(0)= 0 and f(x)> 0 for x not equal to 0.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted